PDA

View Full Version : 304 / 316 Alloys

DaneDHorstead
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies of the female persuasion, too).........

I hear/read a lot of talk about 304 vs 316 alloys, and I want to let you all know, that both of these stainless grades are available in the "L" grade clasifications. L stands for low carbon content.

While there remains a difference between the 316 and 304 basic grades, the difference is, as follows:

Regular 304 has a 18% - 20% ratio of Chromium, and a 8 -10.5% percentage of Nickel.

Regular 316 has a 16 to 18% ratio of Chromium, and a 10 to 14% ratio of Nickel.

All of the other compounds, are identical, with the exception of 1% molybedenum, where there is no Moly in 304 grade. The carbon contents in both regular grades are 8% (max), and in both L grades of the same, the carbon content is reduced to a 3% maximum.

The low carbon content is specificly designed, to reduce corrosion, which is a must in HHO applications.

Note that both grades of Stainless, have the exact 3% maximum of carbons, and only differ by the maximum of 2% of Chromium, and 2% below, to 3.5% above, of Nickel, as compared above.

That means that stainless hardware can be obtained, to match the L grade plates, of both 304, or 316 stainless plates.

I am obtaining case lots of L grade bolts, jamb nuts, etc., for both 304L and 316L applications.

I can supply this composition chart, to anyone who wants a copy (through e-mail), but I have not figured out how to post a PDF format, to this forum.

Note that this chart shows absolutely no iron, in either of these alloys!

PM me with contact info, if you want a copy of the stainless steel grade specs sheet, or if you need fasteners.

Note these are not in stock yet, and will take some time.

smartHHO
08-22-2008, 07:57 PM
good info thanks