PDA

View Full Version : Battery Chargers

Westcoastrocks
08-23-2008, 07:27 PM
I have a battery charger that can charge 4,10,20,40 amps depending on what you choose. This would be perfect to use for testing my Fuel Cell. Anyone know if that can be done? I tried it but it faults. The fault code given is F02 which in the manual that means there is "bad connection, battery voltage to low to accept charge" It would work perfect on the battery beings it has a charge positive and a ground on it. Anyways if you have any ideas on how I could get this to work that would be super! thanks

Painless
08-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Are you charging the battery as you use it? I.e. Charger to battery... battery to cell?

scrode
08-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I use a battery charger for my bench testing. a 6/12 volt 2/15/100start amp
charger. It works quite well

Westcoastrocks
08-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Are you charging the battery as you use it? I.e. Charger to battery... battery to cell?

No i am direct connecting it to the cell. I want to be able to put it on the 4,10,20,40 amp setting to see the different results with a constant power source

c02cutter
08-23-2008, 07:46 PM
The issue is your battery charger is too smart. The cell in the electrolyte is a short to the charger. Painless is correct again, but a battery between the cell and the charger. This will get rid of the fault.

Westcoastrocks
08-23-2008, 07:49 PM
The issue is your battery charger is too smart. The cell in the electrolyte is a short to the charger. Painless is correct again, but a battery between the cell and the charger. This will get rid of the fault.

If I go Charger-to the battery-to the cell...Won't my cell just draw as much power as it wants depending on how much draw from my lye in the water?

Westcoastrocks
08-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I figured it out! I connected the charger to the battery. I started it at 4 amps. By the very small output of HHO i could tell that it was only drawing 4 amps. Otherwise my cell jumps to about 20-30 amps and goes nuts.