PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Setup/Relay

gheuett
06-14-2008, 10:03 PM
I've been bench testing my imitation Smacks Booster and I'm ready to to install in the car for a real test. I'll be using a 30A 4 connection relay and I want to verify my connections. For the 4 connections here is what I have:

30 - connects to fuse and on to the + battery.
87 - to the + connection of the generator
85 - to GND
86 - this is the one I'm iffy. Can I connect to the IGN fuse on my fuse box or should I connect to another source? I read somewhere that fuse boxes really weren't best for that type of connection.

I want the unit to cut on when the car is started.

Thanks for any guidance!

Gib

Stratous
06-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I've been bench testing my imitation Smacks Booster and I'm ready to to install in the car for a real test. I'll be using a 30A 4 connection relay and I want to verify my connections. For the 4 connections here is what I have:

85 - to GND
86 - this is the one I'm iffy. Can I connect to the IGN fuse on my fuse box or should I connect to another source? I read somewhere that fuse boxes really weren't best for that type of connection.

I want the unit to cut on when the car is started.

Thanks for any guidance!

Gib

I believe 86 is for relay activation power. If it were me, I would run the relay off a different circut. If the unit overheats or starts pulling to many amps you blow your fuse. If you run off a seperate switch then you can turn if off before you blow a fuse. Also, I have found on my own unit, that at low engine rpm or low engine load the HHO doesnt help much, I turn it off when I am driving slow most of the time.

tbhavsar
07-16-2008, 07:39 PM
What are these numbers?
85 - to GND
86 ?

Are they same for other cars? where would I find these numbered wires in my car?

cougar gt-e
07-18-2008, 12:04 AM
What are these numbers?
85 - to GND
86 ?

Are they same for other cars? where would I find these numbered wires in my car?

Printed on the bottom of the relay.

HHOhoper
07-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Can you just go get any 'ol relay from an auto parts store? I don't know anything about relays. Do they have volt, watt, amp ratings that you need to be aware of?

slimk
07-25-2008, 06:57 PM
im going to get a relay soon...where do i tap into on my car to not mess my car up but to have the unit turn on when the engine is running, and off when the engine goes off...i've read that using the oil pressure unit is good or the o2 sensor power but i dont want to mess up those things as they are kinda needed for the cars operation lol...anyone have pics of how they did this with with the fuse box somehow or by splicing and taping into some other device that one turns on when the engine comes on?

i guess my question is the same as the first poster, what does the 86 go to?

i think very detailed instructions are necessary for us newbies, on how to locate something to tap into for this on/off with the engine thing without possibly messing up that very component.

humbug
07-25-2008, 07:43 PM
here is a link i found about the wiring diagrahm of a 12v relay

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-emporium/117895-faq-relays-how-they-work-how-wire-up.html

this is what I did I got a voltage tester from AutoZone for about 3 bucks then I probed for a wire that would only be on when the car is on, once I thought I found a wire that would work I held the voltage tester on the wire and I got the the wire leading from pin 86 and made it touch the tester needle if I heard the relay make a clicking noise I knew there was enough current flowing trough that wire to flip the switch in the relay which should only take a few mille amps

gheuett
07-25-2008, 07:58 PM
The tough part for me was finding a circuit that was only on when the car was running. Surprisingly there were very few. Some ran current all the time and some clicked on with the ACC. I finally used the heated seat fuse. That has worked well.

Tx!
Gib

slimk
07-25-2008, 09:26 PM
no heated seats in the car :-( any other ideas?

humbug: what wire did you end up using, what was it for? how did you attach the 86 pin wire to it, did you create a bare part on the wire by removing the insulation and then taping it over that patch or did you come up with a better idea?

EltonBrandd
07-25-2008, 09:34 PM
no heated seats in the car :-( any other ideas?

humbug: what wire did you end up using, what was it for? how did you attach the 86 pin wire to it, did you create a bare part on the wire by removing the insulation and then taping it over that patch or did you come up with a better idea?

Fuel pump, power windows, windshield wiper motor, radio, cigar lighter. Any thing that does not work with the key on is considered circuit 15 and is suitable for use as a circuit 86 input.

gheuett
07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Don't know if you have tried this but take your volt meter set on the higher DC setting (high enough to handle 12V) and place the negative probe on a good ground connection. Then place your positive probe on the exposed metal on top of your different fuses (not sure what fuse types you have). Do this first with the car off and identify any circuits that show no current. Next take the ones that are dead and do the same with the key turned to ACC. Any that still show no current will be your good candidates. You don't want one that runs current with the ACC on or else anyone sitting with the car off but running the radio will be running your generator. This could make for a nice boom once you start the car.

Autozone and other parts stores sell these fuse plug ins call add-a-circuit. It plugs in and has a place for the circuit's original fuse plus a fuse for your new circuit. Just connect your relay line to the wire on the add-a-circuit. Make sure you take a fuse with you so you can get the right size.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Gib

Dewayne
07-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Check out my Schematic:

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=532&page=3

HHOhoper
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I was able to get my system all wired up with a relay over the weekend! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and it works great! I just used a generic 12V 30A relay I got at Autozone.