PDA

View Full Version : need some help here

ejohnson44004
08-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I installed my generator and it works well but shortly after, my check engine light came on. I had already wrapped my O2 sensors in alum foil. A check on the system showed that the O2 sensors were fine but I had a bad engine speed sensor. I haven't replaced it yet (can't find one) and the check engine light remains lit. I plan to install an EFIE but will this do any good with the bad sensor?

EltonBrandd
08-25-2008, 11:28 PM
What kind of car? Does the engine speed sensor refer to the sensor monitoring the crankshaft speed? AKA crankshaft position sensor? If so I have rarely seen any performance issues related to that code. The only one i have seen was when coolant was dripping straight in to the connector and the engine wouldn't accelerate. If it is a digital signal it will either run or stall, if it is analog who knows what it will do.

ejohnson44004
08-26-2008, 06:05 AM
This is a 98 dodge pickip truck with a 5.7L v8. Don't know if it's digital or analog signal.Don't know if it's the crankshaft position sensor or not. I just took the truck to Auto zone to have the O2 sensors checked. When the guy put his analyzer on the truck he didn't show anything wrong with the O2 sensors but the analyzer said the output speed sensor was malfuntioning. I didn't know what that was but the guy said it was located on the transmission and that he had never seen one go bad. In fact they don't even stock them. Whatever it is, it's making my check engine light stay on and I need to know if tha's going to affect my EFIE before I install it.