PDA

View Full Version : Energy leaks?

gizzy
08-24-2008, 10:59 AM
When some of use talk about the electrical fields jumping every where within the electrolites. Is the sides of the plates supposed to be wrapped?

Painless
08-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Correct, the idea is to wrap the edges of the plates with a good non-conducting material. Some use plastic wrap, I personally mount my plates in a plexiglas sandwich.

godoveryou
08-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Correct, the idea is to wrap the edges of the plates with a good non-conducting material. Some use plastic wrap, I personally mount my plates in a plexiglas sandwich.

Excellent way to do it.

Westcoastrocks
08-24-2008, 07:11 PM
I have my cell wrapped so it is more efficient. Is there another way to loose energy?

gizzy
08-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I thought I read something about the wrapping of your generators. Thanks for the replies. :)

1973dodger
08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Gentlemen,

From my experience, you only need to wrap cells which have neutrals in them. Even then, if the electrolite is going over the top of your cells, you still loose current, assuming you wrapped the other sides. My thought is why not give the current what it wants, an uninterrupted access to the other connected plate of opposite polararity. This is the reason I feel the series cell, which uses isolated baths for each set of connected cells, is the best way to go. If you need more production, just add more connected cells to each set. You will need to go with 5 to 7 sets of cells to get your voltage between 2 to 3 volts per set of cells. Also you can totally submerse the cells, without fear of the current jumping over the neutrals, which saves you from having to worry about electrolite level as often.

1973dodger

rtckjc
08-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I am looking for a good product to wrap/inclose my cell in. Dose someone have a suggestion. I have use ele tape as a temporary solution. Yes it did turn loose after 3-4 days. I did discover that by also covering the bottom and raising top of the cell above the water line it cut the current in have with no reduction of gas. I have built a 7 plate, six cell gen. I made very small slits in the bottom of the cell to allow a small amout of electrolyte to en ter the bottom. Has any one tried a tool dip? It is made to dip the handels of tools. It rubber coats them.

Westcoastrocks
08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=rtckjc;10139]I am looking for a good product to wrap/inclose my cell in. Dose someone have a suggestion. I have use ele tape as a temporary solution. Yes it did turn loose after 3-4 days. I did discover that by also covering the bottom and raising top of the cell above the water line it cut the current in have with no reduction of gas. I have built a 7 plate, six cell gen. I made very small slits in the bottom of the cell to allow a small amout of electrolyte to en ter the bottom. Has any one tried a tool dip? It is made to dip the handels of tools. It rubber coats them.[/QUOTE

How does keeping the top of the plates above the water produce the same HHo with less current?

rtckjc
08-26-2008, 07:28 AM
The same as it does at the bottom of the cell. The current will take the path of least resistance, through the electrolyte and not the plates. This is why the cell temp goes up. This is (waste) leakage current or some call ghost current. Any way it is unproductive.