PDA

View Full Version : Different electrolyte

Stratous
06-15-2008, 02:09 AM
OK, so far I have seen people use KOH, NaOH, Salt, epsom salt and Baking soda. Has anyone tried lithium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide, barium hydroxide or strontium hydroxide. Does anyone know of any other chemical that could be used? I have been searching the internet for information on building a more efficient cell. Thats the real key.

Ronjinsan
06-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Hey Stratous....good question, please let me know if there is anything better out there...or maybe just less toxic!

amwewa66
06-28-2008, 12:50 AM
I have been seeing chemistry departments doing hydrogen testing using de-ionized water (distilled water ran through a water filter), calcium carbonate mixed with 25% methanol. The calcium carbonate increases the electrolysis conduction and the methanol produces 4 hydrogen mol's and CO2.

Stratous
06-28-2008, 08:57 AM
On the methanol, is that 25% of the water or 25% of the calcium carbonate or is that a 25% dilution of the methanol?

amwewa66
06-28-2008, 09:14 AM
25% of the total volume is methanol mixed with 75% de-ionized water volume = 100% total volume then you add in the calcium carbonate as the catylist.

Dean88
06-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I read somewhere that people are using Lemon juice as a catalyst.

jared
06-29-2008, 03:45 PM
lemon juice seems like it would run very clean, how bout oj? :)

Stratous
06-29-2008, 09:08 PM
NaOH will run completely clean if you use all stainless steel in your cell. All nuts, bolts wire connections everything must be SS. I built two identicle cells except for a couple of nuts. One cell had two nuts that were not stainless steel, they were I believe mixed with zinc. I ran both cells for 3 hours to measure heat and output. After 3 hours, the full SS cell was still completely clear and the one with the zinc nuts was slightly red in color.

Ronjinsan
06-30-2008, 05:54 AM
I agree...I accidentally used a galvanised nut and bolt in one of mine and it did the same!

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 03:46 AM
I have just used pure baking soda, but i wonder if you could use some sort of acid, I dont know but i also hear of a myth where you can put xylol or paint thinner into your gas tank and it burns like gas, I"m not sure the point though considering it is like 12 bucks a gallon, lol

h-power
07-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Baking soda is going to eat your stainless. I recommend you switch to NaOH or KOH. Neither will attack the stainless.

timetowinarace
07-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Yesterday I decided it was time to clean my unit. It was a bit gunky but I didn't really have time to filter the electrolyte so I thought to replace it with fresh. Only it takes a couple trips to get the mix right to max out at 30 amps and no more. So I tried using my tap water that comes from my deep well just to see how dirty it would get. I always used distilled before. I pour in the water and turned on the power before adding lye just out of curiosity and to my astonishment allot of bubbles were popping up. The output from the well water and no catalyst outperforms the distilled water and lye at the same amps. Even better, after a two hour drive it was still clean.

What's in the water? Calcium of some type I know. It's hard water and will plug pipes and hot water heater over time. How much calcium and what else is in it I don't know.

But, I no longer need to spend $ on distilled water and a catalyst. Periodic cleaning will be all it needs. Depending on desired amp draw I may have to dilute it with distilled water. When I get the time I will do a side by side output test.

Stratous
07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Is there a place where you can get your water tested? I would like to know whats in it so that I can duplicate. I would love to loose the NaOH if I could find something better or even just as good.

rmptr
07-06-2008, 01:17 PM
There's plenty of labs around to do a water quality check.

Either Google 'water quality testing' or call ANY water company and ask them for info on the lab they use.

Probably $40 for a regular client, maybe $75 for a one shot.

I think you send 'em a pint in a mailer envelope.

Best

h-power
07-06-2008, 10:30 PM
The impurities (minerals) in the water are acting to ionize the water in place of the NaOH. This will cause different gases to form which could be very harmful to you or your cars engine. for example chlorinated water will produce chlorine gas which is highly poisonous.

timetowinarace
07-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Is there a place where you can get your water tested? I would like to know whats in it so that I can duplicate. I would love to loose the NaOH if I could find something better or even just as good.

I'll see what I can do. Shouldn't be a problem.

The water comes from a large underground aquifer. Snake River Plains Aquifer.

Stratous
07-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I tried using calcium citrate as an electrolyte to no avail. It didnt increase the water conductivity at all.

timetowinarace
07-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Maybe this is my ship comming in. I'll start selling bottles of water on ebay for electrolysis. LOL

Remember when everyone drank water from a faucet? Bottled water was a canteen while you were hiking.

Ezekiel 33
11-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi all, another newbie here. Just started some preliminary experiments yesterday. Used tap water with pellet(wood) ashes. It conducted like crazy. I will have to play with amounts when I get my containers. Hopefully I will have them tonight. If this works, I will start saving my pellet ashes instead of dumping them out once a week. It would be awesome to be able to get a use out of them.

kerry k
11-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I am experimenting with sodium aluminate. Working great so far!

Super Fuel FX
11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
What you actually need to add to the gas is Acetone, Xylol, or another cleaning chemical that escapes me at this time. 3oz to 10 gallons of gas will increase gas mileage. I use it in my F150 and saw a highway increase of over 25%, and just under 25% in my 2005 Jeep Gr Cherokee. It doesn't seem to work as well in the city though. The 3oz is the max that should be used, as more is not better. It also will not work as well with gas that has ethanol added to it (actually reduces gas mileage!). My Jeep takes 2.5oz to get the best effects.

joe38socalif
11-29-2008, 08:01 PM
3oz Acetone per 10 gallons
3 oz Xylene per 10 gallons
3 oz Mystery Marvel oil per 10 gallons