PDA

View Full Version : The Chemistry and Manufacture of Hydrogen (1919)

otrcomm
08-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Thought I would provide this link to a fascinating book from 1919 on hydrogen production.

http://www.archive.org/download/chemistrymanufac00teedrich/chemistrymanufac00teedrich.pdf

The pdf is 20MB, so be patient for the download.

For people interested in the tero cell, look on page 126 of the book and you will find a description of the filter press. Basically the only difference between the tero cell and the filter press is that the filter press was trying to keep the hydrogen and oxygen separate, so they used an asbestos membrane between the plates.

The entire section on the mechanical production of hydrogen is good info for all of us.

Incidently, the filter press design is still used in laboratories for onsite hydrogen production.

I haven't made one yet, but I believe the tero cell design, for what we are all trying to do, has major potentials.

Tero cell design link if you didn't know:
http://www.waterfuelcell.org/WFCprojects/Tero/series_cell_v1.2.pdf

Painless
08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Page 131 is interesting too, it lists the minimum voltage required for electrolysis to continue by the catalyst used.

Nice link! Thanks for posting!

JojoJaro
08-25-2008, 11:17 PM
So, Theoritical efficiency is 6.182 mmw or .853 LPM per 10 A at 13.8 V.

I wonder what to make of some of these claims of higher than theoritical efficiency.

LinChiek
09-01-2008, 08:50 AM
downloading.............. :D

Jaxom
09-01-2008, 12:33 PM
So, Theoritical efficiency is 6.182 mmw or .853 LPM per 10 A at 13.8 V.

I wonder what to make of some of these claims of higher than theoritical efficiency.

Inaccurate measurement...temperature and air pressure affect the flow rate of HHO. We all know that gasses expand when heated, so a given mass of hot HHO will have more volume than the same mass of cold HHO. Therefore, hot HHO will show a higher flow rate than cold HHO, even if it's really the same mass being produced.

Basically, we measure by volume (because it's easy) when we really should measure by weight.

Q-Hack!
09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
On pages 126-127 it talks about the breakdown of NaOH:

If the solution of hydrochloric acid is replaced by one of caustic soda the caustic soda is split up by the current into oxygen, which is liberated at the anode, and metallic sodium which is deposited on the cathode; but since metallic sodium cannot exist in contact with water, the following reaction takes place at the cathode:
2Na + 2H2O = 2NaOH + H2
Thus, by a secondary reaction, hydrogen is liberated at the cathode, or, in other words, water is split into its constituents, while the caustic soda is reformed.

Wouldn't that mean that the reaction of sodium and water creates heat? This may explain why it is hard to control heat in our cells. I would assume the same applies to KOH as potassium also cannot exist in contact with water.

volomike
09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
This looks like a great read. Downloading.

Anything that can help us to filter out the oxygen and leave us with the more powerful, pure hydrogen -- that's worth a look.

GOplayer
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
This looks like a great read. Downloading.

Anything that can help us to filter out the oxygen and leave us with the more powerful, pure hydrogen -- that's worth a look.
I am a bit confused about your statement of “more powerful Hydrogen” by filtering out the Oxygen?
1: HHO is about 5-6 times more powerful then burning Hydrogen under regular air. (5x the oxygen minus the presence of Nitrogen, makes HHO so much more powerful!)
2: If your goal is to create pure Hydrogen separate form Oxygen, all you need is a setup where the anode and cathode is in different container and whoala, your separation of these two elements. Again, I am not sure what you mean by your statement. Z