PDA

View Full Version : Just want a voltage control

TreyNC
08-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Can anyone help me with what I need in just voltage control. I don't know much about electronics at all. I think I need a DC motor controler, but don't know what all the electronic jargin is. I want to be able to go from 0-12v or so and be able to handle amperage that can go along with a generator. I have up to 30Amp fuses.

I was wanting to get something cheaper than a PWM and don't care about the pulse part. What do you guys think.

BoyntonStu
08-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Educate yourself before playing around with electricity.

BoyntonStu

Dewayne
08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Educate yourself before playing around with electricity.

BoyntonStu

Would you read what TreyNC said.

"Can anyone help me with what I need in just voltage control. I don't know much about electronics at all."

He didn't say he was playing with it. So why don't you mentor him.

TreyNC
08-25-2008, 06:25 AM
BoyntonStu,
Educating is what I was trying to get from this board. I chase down electrical problems nearly everyday at work, not that they pay me to, but I understand electricity just fine in a broad spectrum. I just don't know about the finer points on electronics of what does what. If you could give me a credible source to learn from, kind of idiots tutorial of what means what thats fine or you could just say just get the PWM and don't bother with the rest. Or I'll not take the short cut and figure it out myself like usual. Was just hoping to get jump on the starting point so I don't start "playing around" with it.

dennis13030
08-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Can anyone help me with what I need in just voltage control. I don't know much about electronics at all. I think I need a DC motor controler, but don't know what all the electronic jargin is. I want to be able to go from 0-12v or so and be able to handle amperage that can go along with a generator. I have up to 30Amp fuses.

I was wanting to get something cheaper than a PWM and don't care about the pulse part. What do you guys think.

ILVPC-30 Dimmers
http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/dimmers-ilvpc.asp

TreyNC
08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you dennis13030.

Lascalll
08-25-2008, 12:21 PM
You got the info you asked for, fine. This 30 amps DC dimmer is sold for $122 + shipping. A Qkits 30 amps PWM is sold for 18$ + shipping. Controlling the working voltage this way would only bring down the efficiency of your generator.

Think about neutral plates. It's easy to obtain & cheap to build. 8 plates forming 7 active gaps would run on a working voltage brought to (12-14 v / 7) = 1.7 / 2 volts per plates. Looks like this : + N N N N N N -. Then adjust your amps draw with electrolyte...

Most of every things we think of and sometimes try is lost somewhere on a bench. You can always find the results of those experimentations on a forum. Amps, voltage, generator gaps. It seem we are all trying to produce HHO over unity. We cannot invent power. Making an engine more efficient, we can do... Maybe testing is the way to improove HHO world but right now, we have billions cars to equip... And a planet to save ...

Have fun ! :)

TreyNC
08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I'll do the math with the neutrals. I really haven't given them a lot of thought. I have as much room in my generator as I need, I can fit around 56 plates (not that I am doing that) with a .062" gap between, but wanted more surface area with greater efficiency to equal less heat. This is just my starting point for my experiments to improve my old V8.

sp1r0
08-26-2008, 06:47 AM
A rheostat like dennis13030 said would be easiest. Here's another source:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&Ntt=*rheostat*&Ne=254359+1447464&N=254359+1323038&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Ns=P_SField&OriginalKeyword=rheostat&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards

PT_Texas
08-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I bought a PWM for use in my 2002 PT Cruiser. The nice thing about it is you can control amps without being fussy about electrolyte. I'm running my 3rd tank of gas with an active system. the first system had several failures mainly by using plastic containers that warp when hot. 1st tank saw a 13% improvement in mileage at 14 amps (I have an amp meter wired into the circuit). 2nd tank with a glass container and a PWM running at 18 amps saw a 2% mileage increase. The 3rd tank is looking good by at least matching if not beating the first tank results based on fuel gauge readings. I dialed back the amps to 13. My theory is that there is a limit to the amount of HHO you can introduce before the sensors begin adjusting the mixture. After a couple of more tanks of gasoline, I may begin modifying the O2 and/or MAP sensor inputs to the computer.

2002 PT Cruiser with an electrolyzer. 21.9 MPG city before, 24.5 MPG after - driving the same weekly work/kids to practice route. I drive 10 miles city each way to work and another 10 miles city chauffeuring kids around.

TreyNC
08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
PT_Texas,
Congads, I am planing on starting my experiments early next week. I am going to do one thing at a time and document my results. I want to tryout several different things with out spending a lot of cash. My truck is a 1994 so maybe I wont have to do much for a modest mpg gain. I was just concerned about heat and the size of my generator. Time will tell.

dennis13030
08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
You got the info you asked for, fine. This 30 amps DC dimmer is sold for $122 + shipping. A Qkits 30 amps PWM is sold for 18$ + shipping. Controlling the working voltage this way would only bring down the efficiency of your generator.

Think about neutral plates. It's easy to obtain & cheap to build. 8 plates forming 7 active gaps would run on a working voltage brought to (12-14 v / 7) = 1.7 / 2 volts per plates. Looks like this : + N N N N N N -. Then adjust your amps draw with electrolyte...

Most of every things we think of and sometimes try is lost somewhere on a bench. You can always find the results of those experimentations on a forum. Amps, voltage, generator gaps. It seem we are all trying to produce HHO over unity. We cannot invent power. Making an engine more efficient, we can do... Maybe testing is the way to improove HHO world but right now, we have billions cars to equip... And a planet to save ...

Have fun ! :)

I agree...........

ridelong
08-31-2008, 03:30 PM
TreyNC,

PWM is the way to go because it is the most efficient method of controlling current. Any other way is going to generate lots of waste heat. Generating that waste heat will put a unnecessary drag on the alternator, and the engine.

dennis13030
09-01-2008, 07:21 PM
The best and cheapest way to control(reduce) heat and current draw is to

1. Add neutral plates or
2. Use less chemical in the electrolyte mix or
3. Both 1 and 2 above.

JonDoh
09-05-2008, 03:41 AM
A Qkits 30 amps PWM is sold for 18$ + shipping.

Where can you get that PWM kit?????(link)?????

What about using one of those home dimmer light switches?? It's 120v...... don't know if it'll work with 12v?

What bout just throwing in a resistor to bring down the voltage? Anybody got a formula?

HHO King
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM

If you want to save a lot of time and trouble just buy one like this one that is already assembled. Most of the pwm's on the market are just a board and nothing else.

I found this one at Extreme HHO but i am sure there are others like it.

http://www.extremehho.com

Randohr
12-28-2008, 12:05 AM
For voltage control use ohms law to create a voltage divider network. For current control, do the same thing. The result will be a high wattage, low ohm resistance in series with a brute force cell, no neutrals. It's a design that goes back to the mid 1800's and it works. Back in the days of huge rheostats and open winding motors and high voltage knife switches. I like technology just as much as the next guy, but...
Making the cell into a water capacitor and over stressing it until you get catastrophic dielectric failure is cool to.