PDA

View Full Version : When to change water?

VanHalen
08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I was just wondering if there was a tell or a time when to change the water out of the HHO generaters. I'm using quart jars( Similar to W4G I just built them w/o the plans, don't yell at me please :( ). I don't know exactly how the conversion from water works, but is there a time when you can't use the water any more, either from the electrolyte or the water being unable to generate HHO?

waterworld
08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
...you are using baking soda as the electrolyte you will need to change it often. It will make a brown sludge form in the bottom of the unit. Eventually the cells will be completely destroyed.
If you use KOH or NaOH there will be no need to change the water, just add more distilled water as needed. There will be no brown sludge formed. KOH and NaOH are true catalysts, they do not become part of the reaction.

VanHalen
08-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Where can I get the KOH or NaOH, and if I have to mix them whats the ratio?

ridelong
08-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide can be obtained at AAA chemicals.com.

I think potassium hydroxide is best.

I mix 1 1/2 tsp to 40 oz of distilled, but it really depends on the plate setup and size. Using neutrals decreases the current draw. To achieve the draw desired, keep adding more KOH.

BE CAREFULL, this stuff is caustic and heavy concentrations will burn your skin. Good to keep a bottle of vinegar around to neutralize any spilled electrolyte.

VanHalen
08-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I plan on getting some of this soon.