PDA

View Full Version : Power

Westcoastrocks
08-25-2008, 01:17 AM
So I am looking for a power generator. I don't know what they are called. But I need something for testing cells just like everyone has on youtube videos ect. No one really knows what they are called and I can't sem to find them on the internet. Any help? I just want something that I can adjust amps to test different outputs of HHO per amps :)

sm0kin
08-25-2008, 03:10 AM
power supplies can be bought at electronic stores. occasionaly you will find one at your local thrift store. radioshack has some but they are low amperage. a good car battery charger will also work.

Westcoastrocks
08-25-2008, 10:23 AM
power supplies can be bought at electronic stores. occasionaly you will find one at your local thrift store. radioshack has some but they are low amperage. a good car battery charger will also work.

The problem i am having with car battery chargers is this: Its really hard to find one with adjustable amperage for tests. If you do find one with a higher output and adjustable amperage they tend to be really smart. Meaning they will only charge a battery. It can tell I am trying to run power through something that is not a battery so it won't work. I have tried connecting it through another battery and then to me cell. That's works but as soon as the battery is charged the generator will stop and refuses to keep putting out power.

So if anyone has a model that they really find use full and where to get it that would be great. I will check my local radio shack and see what they have thanks.

Ok I just check the local Radio Shack. "Whats that? I have no idea what you are talking about. We don't carry anything like that.!"

bobcampbell
08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm having the same problem. My old battery charger had a Manual Mode. But like you say these smart ones goof things up. I'm currently looking for several junk computers to get the power supplies out of. I figure I can hook the 12v and 5 volts from separate power supplies in series and get 15v.

Bob Campbell
http://www.youtube.com/user/HHO4gas

smartHHO
08-27-2008, 06:35 PM
So I am looking for a power generator. I don't know what they are called. But I need something for testing cells just like everyone has on youtube videos ect. No one really knows what they are called and I can't sem to find them on the internet. Any help? I just want something that I can adjust amps to test different outputs of HHO per amps :)

I could not tell you were to get it. When I went thru electronics many moons ago, we were able to buy an adjustable power supply that went from 110 down to 1amp at adjustable 24vdc. I know there were better out there that I seen same catalog, but can't recal the name. Been over 15 years. But after doing a GOOGLE for "adjustable bench power supply", key word being bench. Here is the Link.

http://www.google.com/products?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS287&q=adjustable+bench+power+supply&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

c02cutter
08-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Here is a nice unit and not bad priced at $299.95 + shipping

0-30v 0-30a switching supply

http://www.radios4you.com/dcpowersupply-hy3030E.html

Johnh
08-28-2008, 01:14 PM
You really cant directly control the Amps with a power supply - Amps are a function of what the unit draws and as such are controlled only by the electrical resistance through the cell ( electrolyte conductivity and plate spacing)

You can control the current by varying the voltage ( current in watts is volts * amps )
You can also control current with a PWM by limiting the time that the current flows through a circuit.

If you ask anyone for a power supply that will control amps you will be met with a blank look because electricity just does not work that way

John