PDA

View Full Version : How do I fool my 2000 Chevy Astro?

rubrbulits
08-26-2008, 01:02 AM
I have been experimenting with HHO on my 2000 Chevy Astro Van for some time now. My HHo system is pretty low output. I started out by simply removing all three of my o2 sensors and wraping them in aluminum foil and re-installing them. I did see a small improvement, but nothing consistent. I then purchased a MAP/MAF sensor enhancer and hooked it up to my MAP sensor so I could have more control. When I turn the dial to lean it out, it will stumble during the first 1/4 turn. However, as you continue to turn the dial as far as it will go the engine smoothes back out as if the ECU is over-riding the enhancer. So to clarify.... My van has three o2 sensors, a MAP sensor, and a MAF sensor. Will only blocking off my o2 sensors be enough? Technology is great until you have to figure it out.

mytoyotasucks
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
some peops are using a O2 extention to get it out of the flow.

Stevo
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Will only blocking off my o2 sensors be enough? Technology is great until you have to figure it out.

Probably not since you have both a MAP and a MAF. I would think that even if you adjusted your MAP and O2 sensors, you will still see your MAF disagreeing with the adjusted readings and thus your PCM/ECM re adjusting the A/F ratio and timing. Essentially, if all three sensors are not tweaked, the remaining un-tweaked sensor(s) will carry the burden of doing the guess work. Try some 02 stand-offs and continue using your MAP adjuster. Then try to find a way to tweak the MAF. I know from experience that some Ford MAF models during Y2K times had a little metering tube that crosses the inner diameter of the MAF sensor. There were a few people who actually cut the runners shorter or even off and successfully leaned their A/F ratio. I'm not saying you should do that, just FYI.

hydrotinkerer
09-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I have been experimenting with HHO on my 2000 Chevy Astro Van for some time now. My HHo system is pretty low output. I started out by simply removing all three of my o2 sensors and wraping them in aluminum foil and re-installing them. I did see a small improvement, but nothing consistent. I then purchased a MAP/MAF sensor enhancer and hooked it up to my MAP sensor so I could have more control. When I turn the dial to lean it out, it will stumble during the first 1/4 turn. However, as you continue to turn the dial as far as it will go the engine smoothes back out as if the ECU is over-riding the enhancer. So to clarify.... My van has three o2 sensors, a MAP sensor, and a MAF sensor. Will only blocking off my o2 sensors be enough? Technology is great until you have to figure it out.

The o2 sensor is the last input the ECM/PCM see's for fuel trim. The first thing to adjust would be o2 sensors. By adjusting MAP/MAF the vehicle has the ability to learn what you did and readjust. The big three use o2 sensors for the final say. Hook an EFIE to the upstream o2 sensors(in front of convertor). Hope that helps.