PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Hydroxide - which grade

WorstCases
08-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi folks,

as far as I found out, the best electrolyte for HHO-Production is Potasium Hydroxide (please correct, if I'm wrong).
I tried to find this cemical local without any luck.

Online I found several Food-grade etc.

Do we need 100% or is food-grade (90%) enought?
I just need to make sure, because I guess 100% would be better because I have no idea, if I buy the 90% food-grade, what the other 10% are...

Finally: If Potassium Hydroxide is used as an electrolyte, the water becomes hazardous (acording to zerofossilfuel from youtube it becomes CR6 or so). I wonder if this is the same, if I would use another electrolyte instead because I'm kind of concerned if some of this electrolyte ever leeks out of the cell...

Greetings.
WorstCases

sm0kin
08-26-2008, 06:15 PM
not knowing what the other 10% is i would stick with 100%. if its 90% Potassium Hydroxide and 10% water it would be fine. but not knowing...

WorstCases
08-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Where can I get 100% Potassium Hoydrxide?

Sombody mentioned aaa-chemicals.com, but they have only the 90% Food-Grade (according to their internet-page).

What's about the electrolyte becoming hazardous (Cr6)? Is this happening no matter if I use Potassium Hydroxide or something else?

Q-Hack!
08-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Where can I get 100% Potassium Hoydrxide?

Sombody mentioned aaa-chemicals.com, but they have only the 90% Food-Grade (according to their internet-page).

What's about the electrolyte becoming hazardous (Cr6)? Is this happening no matter if I use Potassium Hydroxide or something else?

Hexavalent Chromium is created during the electrolysis process of Chrome plating. It can also be leached back out during the electrolysis process of generating HHO if you are using stainless steel as your electrodes. So to answer your question; it doesn't matter what electrolyte you use. It is the process of using stainless steel and electricity that creates the Cr(VI). Please make sure you dispose of your old electrolyte at your local hazardous waste disposal, and not down the drain.

As a side note, Hexavalent Chromium is also created when welding stainless steel, so make sure you have plenty of ventilation.