PDA

View Full Version : EFIE and / or SENSOR EXTENDER

PAPAFIXIT
06-17-2008, 07:47 AM
This HHO thing is WIDE OPEN for scamers.
Has anyone seen or heard anything credible about OXYGEN SENSOR EXTENDERS? Should they be used with an EFIE? Do they work at all?
They're cheap enough ( $7 - 10 ), but is it just more BS?

Phantom240
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't trust anything that messes with a sensor without doing a baseline dyno using a wideband o2 sensor to monitor base A/F ratios, and then running the same dyno with your HHO setup added and what not. I think people that fiddle with the oxygen sensor readings without monitoring their actual a/f ratio are just playing with fire.

PAPAFIXIT
06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your opinion, I am more than a little nervous about trying to "fool the computer" because someone obviously smarter than myself designed it.
COMPUTERS DON'T BELONG IN AUTOMOBILES

wydopnthrtl
06-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I have researched this online and just can't find a clear account where someone has actually measured this. Those selling them say they work. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd like to electronicly change & control the values instead of living with what a spacer may offer. That way I'm in control and can quickly change if need be.

Rich

gasmakr
06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Phantom is totally right about the wideband setup. Being able to actually see the A/F ratio is the way to go. But you don't need a dyno a simple drive around town would do it...... alot of people don't have the cash for a wide band setup though..so alot of people use thier butt dyno to test it when the mixture is too lean the motor will stumble ..so they lean it till it stumbles then rich it up just a hair. which I agree is not the best way to do it but I have several people do it this way.:)

Kwiksilvr
06-29-2008, 01:21 AM
lean it too much and you will ping to death...

i have this on my 4 banger kia, but am afraid to put it on my 610 RWHP Lightining..

i will definatly be on the dyno getting it tuned for this if and when I do go ahead and put it on my truck..

anybody have an HHO machine on a boosted vehicle?

jared
06-29-2008, 03:49 PM
how bout using an engine programmer to change ur air fuel ratio, like the bulldog mentioned in another post?

do those change all those setting like that?

porkchop
06-30-2008, 09:35 AM
gasmaker- how would you "lean it out" on a fuel injection? Not trying to be a smart aleck, I just don't know how to. I would like to do the drive test & engine stumble method you described.
Anyone- why would extending the O2 sensor help? Wouldn't the O2 remain the same inside the pipe?
- would you have to go to a auto shop to have the A/F mixture changed (on the computer) to enhance the hydrogen generator? Could this be done?
- what exactly is an EFIE? Seen a lot about this, must have missed an explaination when reading through this forum.

It might be a good idea to have some sort of glossary/definition page for us beginners. Just a thought.

Kwiksilvr
06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
how bout using an engine programmer to change ur air fuel ratio, like the bulldog mentioned in another post?

do those change all those setting like that?

This might work on my Ford Lightning if I go that route... I use SCT to tune and program the trucks computer... my thing would be to build a throttle switch and have the current shut off to the bubbler with anything over 40% throttle, and I would tune for it too..

you mostly want to tune for cruising for best MPG results...

gheuett
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I think this is probably the most critical area that needs the most research. Based on what I'm seeing, we are able for the most part to get hydrogen production. Where its effectiveness will be made or broken is in the control of the air flow mixture and take advantage of the HHO. The production of hydrogen is the fun and most visible part and there is plenty of tinkering going on in this area. Where I think we are falling short is really making sense of what we can actually do on the electronics side. This is also where we have the biggest long term challenge. We may get fuel economy but if we over-lean the mixture we could damage the engine. We need some good boundaries there. Clearly those working pre-electronic fuel injection - via carburetors do not have the issue but for the most part we'll all encounter fuel injection in one car or another.

I'm suggesting to the forum managers that we set up a main sub folder on "Fuel Injection Management" and let's start collecting the information in one place. It keeps popping up in different threads but this is as important as plate configuration or any other main area of HHO. We are getting bits and pieces on HHO Extenders, EFIE devices, and actual adjustments to the computer controls themselves. It would be good to get some auto mechanics that are interested in HHO to weigh in. I know a few have and this is where we need to get some really skilled technicians who can dig in the weeds and help translate into action for the rest of us!!

I know that is a bit rambling but I'd be interested if there are any harrumphs out there.

Thanks!
Gib

PAPAFIXIT
06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Thats a great idea Gib, ORGANIZE !!!!!!
MrSyd

jared
06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
i second that , even i could make a decent genny but utilizing it is the whole point of my endeavors but thats just me personally

i would also greatly appreciate a thread subscribe feature, i keep losing my threads and the only way i can keep track of them on this particular type of forum board is to save the threads to my favorites

kiwibrick
07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I have been wondering about the problem of altering the O2 sensors output for the HHO, because the HHO generator has a linear output and doesn't take any notice of the load (and hence the amount of airflow & fuel delivery) of the motor, just straight modifying the O2 sensor signal in a linear fashion could result in a rich condition in the higher load sites of the motor ie. closer to full throttle.

I am in the fortunate position of having a car with EFI, but that doesn't use an O2 sensor, and I am also in possession of a wideband O2 sensor and meter :D
Once I have installed my HHO generator this weekend and done some preliminary mileage tests I should be in a position to do some logging of the O2 levels with both the HHO going and not going to see exactly how it alters the O2 reading over the entire load range of the motor.

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 03:23 AM
lol i wouldnt go near anything like that,

jared
07-03-2008, 10:07 PM
hey kiwi,

what is that avi it looks like sum kind of turbo or something, does it relate to hydrogen?

kiwibrick
07-04-2008, 12:09 AM
It is just a pic of a new turbo I bought for my car a while back, it's not to do with HHO, although my HHO is going on my turbo car.

rmptr
07-04-2008, 11:16 AM
It would be great to have a section on ECM management.

It well be necessary for optimal results.

Best

joshsbrain
07-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I just registered today, and I was like "ok I can easily get hho production, but how in the world do I electronically fix the A/F ratio to adjust for the extra gas?"

I think that a section strictly devoted to that subject would help clear up a lot of cunfusion and help to stop questions that have already been answered.

I hope to enjoy learning from this website for a while to come, thanks to the Admin and Hosts of this site! there needs to be a HHO FOR DUMMIES!!!

h-power
07-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Any vehicle that has an O2 sensor, gas or diesel will need an EFIE to realize any fuel economy savings. Unless the ECU is fooled into thinking the oxygen level in the exhaust is OK it will try to correct what it perceives as a lean condition and increase fuel mixture to compensate completely nullifying any fuel savings from the HHO and may well make it even worse.