PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Stainless Steel

Painless
08-29-2008, 10:25 PM
After spending the best part of two hours making some small cuts in some of my stainless steel 304 plates with a junior hacksaw with a blade supposedly for cutting metal, I'm thinking that there must be an easier / faster way of cutting through stainless for the home hobbyist on a tight budget?

Am I missing something? Using the wrong type of blade? I know stainless is a very dense material but it's taking the best part of 5 minutes to make a 1/4" cut!

Can anyone offer some advice?

overtaker
08-29-2008, 11:33 PM
What is the old saying.... no pain(less) no gain? I wish I could offer some advise but I had mine sheared. Maybe co2cutter will be along to help.

Q-Hack!
08-30-2008, 02:03 AM
I use a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Works Great!

http://www.dremel.com

Painless
08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I use a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Works Great!

http://www.dremel.com

Now THERE's an idea! :)

homersimpson30
08-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I use dremel to. cuts well, wheel lasts long to.

computerclinic
08-30-2008, 12:04 PM
A dremel is good for very short cuts such as forming the tab, or MAYBE drilling the holes, but for general purpose cutting of SS...I would get a shop to cut it for you...That is if you dont have an air compressor...

If you have an air compressor, the cheapest and easiest way to cut would be with a cutoff tool ($15 for the tool + $1 per cutoff wheel)...

Works just like a Dremel, but its air driven and has ALOT more power.

An air compressor and cutoff tool is handy to have, but again, if you dont have access to these tools, then your best bet is to visit your local shop. It is really cheap to have the stuff cut-typically will run under $30 if you have a sheet trying for strips and/or plates.....

As for the type of shops to look for, try the autobody shops, sheet metal shops, and machine shops....If all else fails, look into your local tech school or high school metal shop (You will likely find alot of cooperation at the tech schools!)

Best of luck

Bossman
08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
If you have an electric miter saw, install a fiber cutting wheel. Works great. Electric Saw zaw is another option

PAPAFIXIT
08-30-2008, 08:25 PM
HAND HACKSAWING STAINLESS
Generally used for random cutting of light gauge material, small diameter bar, tube and pipe. A blade with a wavy set is preferable. For thin gauge sheet and thin wall tubes a fine 32 teeth per 25mm blade is necessary. As the thickness of the material being cut increases, the coarseness of the blade should be increased to 24 teeth per 25mm.

Painless
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the input guys! Really appreciated! I think I will definitely look into a dremel as it seems to be the best answer for the small cuts I want to make in my wall plates. If I need to go any further I think I'll order some customs from co2cutter.

Thanks again!

jmartin915
09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Use cobalt bits (not cobalt coated)...actual cobalt bits. You will ruin any other bit I promise you...haha I have tried! haha