PDA

View Full Version : Whats less conductive that i can add to water??

Atechguy
08-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Just a thought i don't want to buy a pwm or anything else right now , is it possible to just put distilled water and add something to make the water less conductive with harming the plates, i just have a problem with this unit 50 plates in series producing to much current and causing metal flaking and ishorting out, i can't reconfigure it is sealed unit, right now even with out electrolye i am still getting production, just what something less conductive?? Is this dooable.:eek:

HHOhoper
08-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Hmm. Just add sand. j/k.

That's a tough one. If it were me, I'd go with the PWM to save me the headache. I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for...:o

Painless
08-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Just a thought i don't want to buy a pwm or anything else right now , is it possible to just put distilled water and add something to make the water less conductive with harming the plates, i just have a problem with this unit 50 plates in series producing to much current and causing metal flaking and ishorting out, i can't reconfigure it is sealed unit, right now even with out electrolye i am still getting production, just what something less conductive?? Is this dooable.:eek:

Have you tried just adding very very small amounts of the electrolyte? The KOH flake is very suitable for this, you can just add a couple of flakes and start from there. I put some of my electrolyte (about 16 fl/oz) into a glass jar and add the flake, then stir it up well and gently pour it slowly around the whole bath.

Atechguy
08-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I just went for a drive about close to 1 hr. with just distilled water and it went up to 8.2 amps with just distilled, so maybe i can add a few flakes at a time because it seems like i only need about 1/4 teaspoon or less before it goes slowly up to 20 then eventually 30 amps. This has been alot of trial and error .:rolleyes:

ridelong
08-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Atechguy,

What metal are your plates, and how close are they, also the config?

Are you drawing 8 amps with distilled?

Sounds interesting.

BTW, I did get the current feedback pwm schematic posted.

Atechguy
08-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Atechguy,

What metal are your plates, and how close are they, also the config?

Are you drawing 8 amps with distilled?

Sounds interesting.

BTW, I did get the current feedback pwm schematic posted.

The plates ss, with nickel and molyb,,,,,,"? about 18 gauge , 50 plates in series, 1/8 gap. ,,,i seen the schematic looks Marvelous!!But know i may be more interested in the Tempature control PWM, instead. Patiently waiting .:p:D

bigapple
08-31-2008, 10:30 PM
well i know u dont want to have to pull apart the entire arrangement but if u havent separated ur positives and negatives with neutrals, that mite be the answer... when i had alternating plates in a brute force system, it was alot more susceptible to shorting out... try to add some neutrals if u havent already