PDA

View Full Version : Drilling 316 L stainless

ShowMeHHO
09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I need some input on drilling some 5/16 holes in some plates. There is not to many places here in this small town to have anything done so I am probably going to end up driling them myself . What bit cuts can cut through it good .....

EdCaffreyMS
09-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Either cobalt or carbide drill bits are my choices for drilling this type of material. I also have a drill doctor sharpener in my shop, so I can re-sharpen when things get dull.

Cobalt, and especially solid carbide drill bits are fairly pricey. You can get through stainless steel with High speed steel bits, if the stainless is annealed (softened), if you know whether you have hot or cold rolled stock, that will help you decide. Hot rolled stock is generally sold in annealed form, whereas cold rolled is generally whats known as "half hard", which means there is some hardness in the stock and it will much more difficult to work/drill.

Q-Hack!
09-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I just use the el-cheapo bit set I bought at Sam's club. Just make sure you use a slow speed setting on the drill and use a lubricant like WD-40. Slow and steady gets the job done.

overtaker
09-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I just drilled a bunch of 5/16 holes yesterday. What worked good for me was to drill a pilot hole first then the larger bit. I also clamped a piece of plexi-glass over the stainless which helped tremendously. I was using a drill press at a lower speed. :)

FuzzyTomCat
09-01-2008, 03:21 PM
I've drilled over 200 plates with a "5/16 hole, 2 places on each plate using the "same" drill bit with out sharpining .......... always using CRC thread cutting oil in a spray can. It's a little smokie but cuts stainless steel like butter and you can drill up to 5-8 plates at a time.

Good Luck all,
Fuzzy

ShowMeHHO
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I've drilled over 200 plates with a "5/16 hole, 2 places on each plate using the "same" drill bit with out sharpining .......... always using CRC thread cutting oil in a spray can. It's a little smokie but cuts stainless steel like butter and you can drill up to 5-8 plates at a time.

Good Luck all,
Fuzzy

What kind of drill bit did you use ?

Thanks

computerclinic
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I use a carbide bit...also use a drill press, too...Using the press will prolong the life and sharpness of the bit, and it will make the drilling alot easier as well....

hydrotinkerer
09-01-2008, 08:29 PM
I use a cobalt bit, just because that is what I have at work. Cobalt or carbide, both need cutting oil.

sp1r0
09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
I would rec slow speed and increase sizes 1 at a time if you have a hand held electric drill. Like someone else said, even with slow speed, add some lubricant like WD-40. A slow speed press drill would be ideal, whilst increasing bit size 1 at a time. Working with SS316 is a pain! Worth it in the end.

insane4evr
09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Placing the plate on a flat hard surface (steel preferred) and with a pin punch, I lightly punch the ss plate so that the starting drill bit will not wander. Hard surface will prevent deforming the plate.

Starting bit I used is 1/16 inch, I don't have a machine shop where they have special pilot hole drill which will not require pin punching. Using drill press or hand drill, specially hand drill, press firmly for the tip to cut but not too hard as you might break the drill. Use slow speed, too fast will burn up the drill tip. Use lubricant (cutting oil, or even cooking oil) and don't let the drill bit run dry.

Do not drill thru in one pass, pull out the drill bit from the work to remove debris from inside the hole even though it is still shallow. This also gives you the opportunity to lubricate the drill tip cutting edge. Once the hole is drilled thru, use the next size higher and do the same procedure. This time, you may drill thru in one pass as the debris will fall thru the pilot hole. But I still pull out since it allows me to apply lubricant at the cutting edge where it is needed.

Slow but sure.

FuzzyTomCat
09-01-2008, 10:40 PM
What kind of drill bit did you use ?

Thanks

a "Lawson" brand, Double cutting edge twist drill bit, nothing special.

Fuzzy

sm0kin
09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
i have found that drilling SS on a piece of 2x4 to be the easiest. I first tried drilling on a flat piece of tile. then tried to drill it in between 2 tiles. Tried it on wood and it drilled very quickly without much effort. Be careful of burs on the opposite side tho.

DigitalMocking
09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I generally clamp a pair of 2x2s around where I want to drill and drill through them.

ShowMeHHO
09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me some input on this task.I think now I can manage to get some holes in some plates with out allot of error

..........Thanks

ridelong
09-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I was using lubricating oil and it was a mess. Some guy at work said they used water for lubricant at another job. I tried it in a 409 spray bottle.

Man did it work and the plates were clean! Just had to rinse off any fine particals sticking to the wet ss. The water keeps the plates nice and cool.

I've drilled about 200 holes through 22 ga 316 with the same cobalt bit and it still cuts fine.

I do use a 1/16 pilot hole.

Use a 2 X 4 as backing.

Q-Hack!
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I was using lubricating oil and it was a mess. Some guy at work said they used water for lubricant at another job. I tried it in a 409 spray bottle.

Man did it work and the plates were clean! Just had to rinse off any fine particals sticking to the wet ss. The water keeps the plates nice and cool.

I've drilled about 200 holes through 22 ga 316 with the same cobalt bit and it still cuts fine.

I do use a 1/16 pilot hole.

Use a 2 X 4 as backing.

I don't see why not... water tends to both a good lubricant and a good way to keep the drill bit cool. As long as you dry everything off good when you are done.

blender
09-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Go to Harbor freight and buy you a Whitney Punch,30.00 unless you are doing stuff thicker than a 1/8 you will be loving life. Screw all the drill bits step bits and just about everything else anyone will tell you, after years of metal fab work, listen to a pro.

ridelong
09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
I tried a whitney punch at work, it bent the crap out of my plate. It punched OK, but when I tried to pull the punch out it stuck like hell, and bent the plate (22 ga). I may of done something wrong, no experience. If I did please tell me what.

sumdude
09-26-2008, 05:41 PM
question. I got me a drill press. I have 16 plates that i need to drill. I want to have them drilled perfectly of course so i was asking would it be possible to put them ontop of each other and hold them down with a c few c clamps then drill through. I dont want to have some thats oerfectly drilled them others that are off by a few centimeters etc... ]

any help appreciated.

DaneDHorstead
09-26-2008, 06:07 PM
ShowMeHHO;

Note that some people here tell you, you can drill 5 or more plates at once.

Be very carefull! If you don't have a good way to secure the plates tightly, when drilling, they can (and will) grab the drill bit, and spin out of control!

Always drill a pilot hole first, and enlarge the hole later, and always use a slow speed with a drill press!

If you are lucky, you will end up with as many fingers as you started with, and they will still be secured to your hands!

Never attempt to drill plates without proper tools, and always keep your hands clear!

sumdude
09-26-2008, 08:38 PM
ShowMeHHO;

Note that some people here tell you, you can drill 5 or more plates at once.

Be very carefull! If you don't have a good way to secure the plates tightly, when drilling, they can (and will) grab the drill bit, and spin out of control!

Always drill a pilot hole first, and enlarge the hole later, and always use a slow speed with a drill press!

If you are lucky, you will end up with as many fingers as you started with, and they will still be secured to your hands!

Never attempt to drill plates without proper tools, and always keep your hands clear!

Thanks for the input. What i have come around to thinking is that a drill press vise may work good?

hhonewbie
10-01-2008, 02:53 AM
sumdude

Would you recommend a nibbler to cut S/S?

insane4evr
10-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Regular HSS 1/16" pilot hole thru 24 plates stack, ga #24. Clamp as close to the hole location as possible. Slow speed, lots of multiple tiny bites (press down a bit then pull out to clear debris). Keep oiling. If not done properly, the plates will deform, the drill will break, etc.

Other 2 with nuts and bolts already done to correct size. Nuts and bolts installed to keep hole locations the same for each plates.

sumdude
10-01-2008, 10:43 PM
sumdude

Would you recommend a nibbler to cut S/S?

tried that didnt come out so good. I used a metal shear as well and it was a little better.