PDA

View Full Version : question about my setup

mmickey
09-03-2008, 05:40 PM
i buil my first little unit this weekend.it is made out of 2" pvc and holds about 400ml of water,i have put about 5/8 teaspoon of sodium hydroxyd in it.ran for about and hour ,outside temp of pipe stayed around 145 t0 150f.it doesn't seem to pull but about 3 amps.i did blow a 5 amp fuse this morning ,but i think that was from the heat of the engine compartment.put a 7.5 amp in it it gets warm to the touch but hasn't blown.the out put is ran strat into the intake before the filter.seems to have good bubles.i guess my question is would putting a air defusser like in an aqurium on the end cauese to much back persure to cause the heat to rise this high with low amp draw.thanks
marvin

Walt
09-03-2008, 06:40 PM
You are headed for a melt down. Not enough water for the wattage. As the heat goes up so will your amps. You blew a 5 amp fuse because you drew that much. As far as difusing heat with air bubbles...you are on the wrong track. Air has but a small fraction of waters heat capacity. You will need a ton of airflow to give you noticeable cooling. BTU per degree water and air calculations are easy to google. I would sugest no more than 18 watts per 500ml water to absorb the heat from the electricity.

mmickey
09-04-2008, 06:11 AM
thanks for the advice that was what i was thinking.the air defusser is not for cooling,just to try and give out a more steady flow than one big bibble at a time.the unit is mounted up front of my radiator so stays pretty cool as i drive.and after and hour or so of just idling still doesent get over a150 degrees.the electrodes are washers so may try adding a 45 degree angle to the end.just have very limited space.thanks again
marvin.