PDA

View Full Version : seperating the gasses

Starman
09-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Greetings -- new guy here with a few questions. Been following the general discussion of "HHO" for a couple weeks now as I have an application in mind that needs just the Hydrogen, not the mix of HH and OO [yeah, feeding it back into a conventional fuel cell...]

this verges on the whole "over unity" thing, i.e., it might take "x" amount of power to get the hydrogen out of the water, but when that gets fed into a fuel cell I get "x+y" amount of power back out -- I really don't think that will happen, in fact I believe I'll actually get "x-y" out, so I want to minimize "y".

what I truly envision is an at-home electrolysis station that extracts the hydrogen that I can tank up and put in my car, and run the car on a regular fuel cell to get about town and such. [in other words, I'll be using the hydrogen as a battery...]

So, with that in mind, what methods are there for getting "just" the hydrogen out, or at least separating the gasses economically enough that this makes sense?

Q-Hack!
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
The trick of course is to separate your Hydrogen from your Oxygen... There have been several threads about this and I don't think anybody has come up with a viable solution yet. There is a book out there written in 1919 that has a lot of info on how to separate the Hydrogen during production. You might take a look at it for ideas.

http://www.archive.org/download/chemistrymanufac00teedrich/chemistrymanufac00teedrich.pdf