PDA

View Full Version : electrolyte or plates

JonDoh
09-05-2008, 12:37 PM
ok.... I just discovered I use too much baking soda on 8 plates configured +-+-+-+- & the 30amp fuse kept on blowing.... earlier I only use 4 plates in the same solution & the 30 amp fuse never blew nor did it get hot. So then I lighten the electrolyte and the fuse doesn't blow and temp is stable.

For those that have experimented..... here's my question.....

Which is better for more HHO production, less amps, & cooler....

1) 4 plates with a strong dose of Electrolyte

or

2) 8 plates with weak electrolyte

I don't know which one gives out more LPM... don't have a flow meter :o

Painless
09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I would definitely place my money on the 8 plate setup, more surface area is always a good thing.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and if it has, I apologise, but *PLEASE* do not use baking soda as a catalyst! Chlorine gas is nasty stuff!

donnylynn
09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Painless
Baking soda is NaHCO3. So where is the chlorine gas coming from?????

JonDoh
Doubling the number of plates while maintaing a constant ouput should lower the temp. Heat is your enemy. Based on my own experiments, NaOH will give about double the output of baking soda. I am currently experimenting with using 1.5 tsp per gallon of distilled water.

Painless
09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Sorry, I was thinking about the wrong catalyst there :D

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I heard baking soda does produce a poisios gas. Either carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide. I think backing soda is only 6% NaOH so it would require a lot more to be used as well. Either way it makes my water turn brown and I won't use.
I was thinking of trying my tap water because it is well not city water. I know it has a lot of iron in it and I don't know how this will effect my plates. Any ideas?

hg2
10-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I heard baking soda does produce a poisios gas. Either carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide. I think backing soda is only 6% NaOH so it would require a lot more to be used as well. Either way it makes my water turn brown and I won't use.
I was thinking of trying my tap water because it is well not city water. I know it has a lot of iron in it and I don't know how this will effect my plates. Any ideas?

If you're using anything other than distilled water you're sure to have constant problems with deposits gumming up your cell.And IMO koh is your best bet for electrolyte.

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-25-2008, 02:42 PM
If you're using anything other than distilled water you're sure to have constant problems with deposits gumming up your cell.And IMO koh is your best bet for electrolyte.

I heard KOH was the best but it's hard to find localy. Can you explain how much and why it's better?

patricke123
10-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I have a six plate configuration +-+-+- and in order to keep the fuse (30 amp) from blowing and/or the water from boiling down really quickly I was only using a 1/8 or a 1/4 of a teaspoon of 100% Lye drain cleaning I bought at Lowes per 1 gallon of distilled water. Is this a normal amount of Lye for this type of plate config?

I just tried to use 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 distilled white vinegar, but it doesn't seem to produce much HHO.

Any suggestions?

Patrick

hg2
10-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I heard KOH was the best but it's hard to find localy. Can you explain how much and why it's better?

What design cell are you using and I'll try to help with the how much question.
Reguarding the why it better it's kind of a toss up between Naoh and koh.People have good results with both.Myself I tried Naoh in my dry cell and found that it created a dark brown film on most of my plates and over time left deposits at the bottom of the cells.With koh I still have a slight browning of the plates but nothing compared to using Naoh.Both are good electrolytes,it's just deciding which one will suit you best.Look over the electrolyte subforum if you havn't already,that might help you decide which is best.

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 12:49 AM
What design cell are you using and I'll try to help with the how much question.

+nnnnn-nnnnn+ wet cell 2" x 6" s.s. plates in 3" pvc pipe. I use about 1 tsp of Naoh in about 1qt of H2O drawing 15 amps and using 30amp PWM @ 400hz.

hg2
10-27-2008, 02:02 AM
+nnnnn-nnnnn+ wet cell 2" x 6" s.s. plates in 3" pvc pipe. I use about 1 tsp of Naoh in about 1qt of H2O drawing 15 amps and using 30amp PWM @ 400hz.

Are you having any overheating problems after running it 1 - 2 hrs continuous?

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Are you having any overheating problems after running it 1 - 2 hrs continuous?

Not at all It only gets slightly warm even after an hour drive. The amps raise about 5 amps after an hour. I'm just starting out so I'm staying at a 5amp draw for the first tank of gas and them I plan on increasing by 5 amp incremants each tank until I get the best mpg's. I use a 30 amp PWM to control amps.

hg2
10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Not at all It only gets slightly warm even after an hour drive. The amps raise about 5 amps after an hour. I'm just starting out so I'm staying at a 5amp draw for the first tank of gas and them I plan on increasing by 5 amp incremants each tank until I get the best mpg's. I use a 30 amp PWM to control amps.

I'd say bump up the eletrolyte ratio and make note of how much you used so you can duplicate it.If it were me (and I'm not telling you to do it)with amps that low I'd double what I was using and try again.If it's too much you know the correct ratio lies between your previous mix and the new one.

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I checked my mpg's today i went from 15 to 13.5 . I'm gonna try 10 amps next. I get about .25 lpm @ 5amps and .5 lpm @ 10. I'm working my way up slowly to see my best results. PS I get about 15 amps before knocking down with pwm.

hg2
10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
I checked my mpg's today i went from 15 to 13.5 . I'm gonna try 10 amps next. I get about .25 lpm @ 5amps and .5 lpm @ 10. I'm working my way up slowly to see my best results. PS I get about 15 amps before knocking down with pwm.

What type vehicle do you have the install on?

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
`99 F150 4.6L 5 speed

hg2
10-29-2008, 07:16 PM
`99 F150 4.6L 5 speed

This is only my opinion but it sounds like your not producing enough hho to see any mpg gains.To see any real results you need to produce at least 3 lpm.But here again this is only my opinion.I'm running a 5.7 liter hemi in my truck and 4 lpm isn't quite the ammount that I need.But so far with that much I've increased mileage from 14.5 to 16.5 with 4 lpm(and other mods).