PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

Strange81Z
06-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Guys,

I made my first generator this weenend and was able to get it to produce one liter per minute of gas. My problem is that the water got hot and had "gunk" all in the water. How do I resolve the gunk build up in my water? It's rust in color. Or is that normal?

I've got some idea's about the temp problem. I didn't use any neutral plates and I staggered my +'s and -'s. So it was +-+-+-+-+. That was probably my heat issue.

Thanks and great site by the way!!!!

-Shawn

Strange81Z
06-18-2008, 01:43 AM
OK after further research I see that I need to add baking soda or drano to my water solution to help cure both of my issues. That and cleaning my parts with vinegar.

Ronjinsan
06-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Hate to see your amps draw! Oh wecome to the forums by the way!! :D

Stratous
06-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Baking soda and vineger are ok to mix, dont mix KOH or NaOH with vineger.

Strange81Z
06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Hate to see your amps draw! Oh wecome to the forums by the way!! :D

I had no way of measureing my amps, but by caluculating them with basic ohms law I got roughly 22 amps when producing the 1 LPM. Granted that was before my generator got so HOT.:p

Strange81Z
06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Baking soda and vineger are ok to mix, dont mix KOH or NaOH with vineger.

I've seen your post about what not to mix and saw that you sholdn't use salt with it would produce Chlorine Gas, but what happens if you mix KOH or NaOH with vineger? .......I should have paid more attention in Chemistry Class. :o

Oh, and what should I clean my plates with if using water/KOH mixture? Could I use IPA?

Thanks!!!
-Shawn

Stratous
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Vinegar and KOH or NaOH will turn black when electricity is applied and weak organic acids such as acetic (vinegar) will neutralize the NaOH or KOH. If you accidently get some NaOH on your skin you can neutralize it with ordinary vinegar.
I have not had to clean my plates yet other than just to wipe them off with a rag.

gasmakr
06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
it dosen't matter how much you clean your plates the electroisis will still pull oil and gunk out of the metal.. it's deep in the pours of the metal from the manufacturing process. after a few cycles your plates will break inand the water will clear a little. are you useing tap water? if you are there are a bunch of minerals and chems. that will show themselves after 30 min. in an electrolizer and judging from your description you have iron in your water.....you are better off useing distilled water it's much cleaner:).

Ronjinsan
06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
What gasmakr said! :D Plus....you will find that your water conditions itself after about 100kms or so and actually settles down. I have heard rumour that the water gets tired after a time! This I am still researching...Cheers