PDA

View Full Version : Huge spacing @ 6mm Need info before changing

ShowMeHHO
09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Well my curiosity got the best of me and I cut open my Hydrogen generator today . The direction that came with it called for 2 tsp of KaOH and by the pic I knew he had allot of space but when I took it apart it was 6 mm . I know that he designed it this way for a reason and that at 3 mm or 1.5 one would surely use less Electrolizer . I took it down to 3 mm and started to glue it back together but figured I would wait and see what you guys say ..I know that 1 to 1.5 is supposed to best but I know also the guy designed it the way he did for a reason ..Heat has to be watched as it is a schedule 40 cannister but again wouldn't 1.5 mm spacing and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of electrolizer have same results ...Plates are + n n n n n - same spacing through out

justaguy
09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah, 6mm is pretty wide. 3mm or less would be better I think. Its not just for lower electrolyte but sometimes the correct spacing is the magic answer depending on the design. I think closer spacing would be better also when you have neutrals , this helps the current flow from neutral to neutral. Just my opinion.

bigapple
09-10-2008, 01:04 AM
it shouldnt get too hot with the amount of neutrals ur using. the closer the plates, the less distance the current has to flow to other plates to produce gas and u produce more as a result. id say go for 1.5 to 3. somewhere in that range ull be safe and production will be good.

after u get it back together, remeasure ur amount of electrolyte and see ur current draw and temp. get it at the target and ur set