PDA

View Full Version : Pos. or Neg. ?

GOplayer
09-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Basic electrical question:
The anode or the cathode should be bigger when SS wires are used in spiral configuration to make an electrolyzer (AKA: HOD GEN)?
My “user manual” for the HOD Gen kit I purchased called for the positive to be the thicker wire while the negative the thinner. Then an “expert” told me that I got it backwards. Since I am not an expert, perhaps someone out there could point me to a resource that could conclusively show me which wire should be the positive hock up and then I can figure out where to hock up the thinner wire to ;-)
Thanks Z

gizzy
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
In one of these forums here there is a section I think it was under electrolites. They explained everything on how it all works. The ideas and professional explinations for every thing here seems to be a life long education.

bigapple
09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Basic electrical question:
The anode or the cathode should be bigger when SS wires are used in spiral configuration to make an electrolyzer (AKA: HOD GEN)?
My “user manual” for the HOD Gen kit I purchased called for the positive to be the thicker wire while the negative the thinner. Then an “expert” told me that I got it backwards. Since I am not an expert, perhaps someone out there could point me to a resource that could conclusively show me which wire should be the positive hock up and then I can figure out where to hock up the thinner wire to ;-)
Thanks Z

its really not as important as they make it seem. u can only make oxygen in proportion to hydrogen, which in this case is a 1 to 2 ratio. i think they stressed that since oxygen is a bigger atom than hydrogen atom (8 vs 1) but overall not a big deal. u mite want to have ur better material, say a 316 grade vs a 304 grade, be the positive since oxygen is more susceptible to reacting with the water and slowly degrading ur plates or wires (which wont happen as fast if u use a good electrolyte)

personally id stay away from a wire-electrode generator even tho most people do it because its the cheapest to construct. ur gunna have alot of excess heat and ur amperage will probably run high often times so measuring out ur electrolyte is ridiculously crucial, whereas with a plate setup, if u split ur current and voltage across neutral plates, electrolyte concentration wont be as much of a factor (def still a factor though). since putting neutrals in between wires doesnt work (unless someone can prove me wrong) since theres no way to force current to go thru a wire and it can just dodge it, theres no way to prevent current and voltage from maxing out on each electrode. it mite still be efficient and work, but i think there r better designs out there

hope this helps... good luck

gizzy
09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I know what lexan is, but poly? Is this a new metalurgist metal that was discovered?

gizzy
09-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Sorry for this post getting off the topic...I found my answer.

bigapple
09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry for this post getting off the topic...I found my answer.

no prob. polycarbonate and lexan are the same material. its a form of durable plexiglass