PDA

View Full Version : How much do I need to retard my timing for HHO

Dean88
06-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I've heard that to get true performance out of an HHO system I need to retard my timing but how much is needed?

Also do I need to manually lean out my carb?

Wall
06-25-2008, 12:54 AM
You may know this already but the reason for advanced timing in a gas engine is when the spark occurs it takes a moment for the fuel to fully ignite and reach maximum pressure. So by having the spark ignite the fuel before the piston reaches top dead center (advanced timing) the idea is by the time piston reaches TDC maximum pressure/maximum compression will be achieved and push the piston back down to achieve best HP. But if the timing is too advanced you will be doing back work on the piston and if retard the timing too much you won't be at maximum compression (less power). Anyway since HHO has a much faster burn rate than gas you can set your timing closer to 0 deg (TDC), with that being said you will need to experiment with it. You may be able to start with 0deg and if power seems to be down advance timing by 1 or 2 degrees at a time until it feels right. Also for best results you should lean your carb out but do it slowly/carefully so you don't run too lean. If it starts to spit and sputter you went too far.