PDA

View Full Version : 2007 F150, 4.2lt V6, auto tranny

Kobudoman
09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Just starting out. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this engine. Specifically will I need any add ons like O2 extenders or MAP circuit. I plan on using a SMACK style unit with the 18 plates and no wrapping. Thanks in advance for the help.

Q-Hack!
09-16-2008, 05:18 PM
You really ought to think about wrapping that smack cell up. It will help protect the cell from thermal runaway.

O2 extenders have the benefit of not requiring user interaction like the MAP circuit. However the O2 extenders don't work for everybody. You might also think about EFIE circuits which change the signal from the O2 sensors. EFIE's also don't require user interaction while driving.

Argos
09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I have 04 F150 V8 5.4 and my choice was EFIE Enhancer. Also you have to worry about 2 O2 sensors. So you need 2 EFIE Enhancer are one DUAL and think about Digital EFIE that the type I am using. They are more expensive but way!!! more easier to work with.
This is what I have.
http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=195

hydrotinkerer
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
The truck will readjust fuel trim with map adjuster. O2 adjuster is the way to go.

Kobudoman
09-19-2008, 10:36 PM
First I'd like to thank those that answered my post. Q-Hack: I'm unable to wrap the cell as it's so tight in the pipe that the wrapping won't fit. Argo: I've read that it's not always nessesary to adjust the second sensor, is this right? Also the d.e.f.i.e.s. are awfuly expensive, I'm building this to save money. Are they realy that much better? Hydrotinkerer: I'm not clear on what your saying is that from experiance with this particular truck/engine?
Thanks again,
Kobudoman

hydrotinkerer
09-20-2008, 01:14 PM
First I'd like to thank those that answered my post. Q-Hack: I'm unable to wrap the cell as it's so tight in the pipe that the wrapping won't fit. Argo: I've read that it's not always nessesary to adjust the second sensor, is this right? Also the d.e.f.i.e.s. are awfuly expensive, I'm building this to save money. Are they realy that much better? Hydrotinkerer: I'm not clear on what your saying is that from experiance with this particular truck/engine?
Thanks again,
Kobudoman

Ford, Chrysler, etc. they all try to hold fuel trim at 14.7/1. By changing the MAP/MAF it will get good milage for a short length of time. The vehicle will be adjusting fuel trim numbers back based on o2 sensors. If you alter o2 sensor numbers the vehicle has no way of knowing the input numbers are skewd, Therefore your milage gains are more permanent. Some people say to change the MAP/MAF first, on the "big three" that's just isn't the long term solution. Go with the EFIE(o2 sensor enhancer)first. Once that's down pat then adjust the others if wanted or needed.

Kobudoman
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
I just got done doing an oil change so I thought I'd look around to see what it would take to get at the O2 sensors. Damn truck has 4 of them!!! one on each side of the exhust manifold before the doughnut and one ON each of the cat converters. The truck is done up as if it were dual exhaust until after the cats.

hydrofuel860
09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
i have a 05 f150 and found the o2 enhancer to be the ticket. fuelsavermpg.com has a pulsing one that is great and easy to install. it was $65 i have a 2mpg gain off 1/2 lpm and been working on this for about 4mos from scratch. I don't know what the smack system is but i believe you will have to get something that has low amperage around a 1/2 -3/4 lpm and stack them in series. the size of the truck engines are just to large to see a significant increase off one. anything different i would have to witness it first hand before i believe it. but i am open to suggestions also.

Kobudoman
09-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info Hydrofuel.
The smack cell is just one design that's popular with some people on this forum but I've already changed my mind. After putting the cell together I found it to big to wrap and still fit into the housing I made so I did alittle redesign.
I desided to get rid of all the double plates in the smack version and do a more simple 18 plate design, +nnnnnnn--nnnnnnn-. This should give me two"cells" in a smaller space so that I can still wrap the plates. I anticipate about 1lpm but haven't done the mesurements yet.
Question:
since my truck has 4 O2 sensors do I need 4 effie's or just two befor the cats.

lowriderjj
10-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the info Hydrofuel.
The smack cell is just one design that's popular with some people on this forum but I've already changed my mind. After putting the cell together I found it to big to wrap and still fit into the housing I made so I did alittle redesign.
I desided to get rid of all the double plates in the smack version and do a more simple 18 plate design, +nnnnnnn--nnnnnnn-. This should give me two"cells" in a smaller space so that I can still wrap the plates. I anticipate about 1lpm but haven't done the mesurements yet.
Question:
since my truck has 4 O2 sensors do I need 4 effie's or just two befor the cats.

You need 2 for the o2 sensors before cat.

JonDoh
10-20-2008, 08:36 AM
The truck will readjust fuel trim with map adjuster. O2 adjuster is the way to go.

Most cars will do that. The Eclipse did that.

Using the O2 extenders is the cheaper way but the mpg improvement is minimal. The best results will be from the EFIE.

Ebay's got a EFIE kit for $30 or you can build one yourself... if you can get all the parts for bout $20 plus bout 3 hrs of time (it took me longer than that to build my first one)

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Has any one showed an improvmennt in mpg with a HHo Gen. but with out messing with any sensors?

JonDoh
10-25-2008, 02:33 AM
^^^ Most diesels needs no mods. I installed a in a 95 Eclipse needed no EE(Electronic Enhancements) but a 94 Ecilpse needed EFIE. I don't know.... just depends on the vehicles wear on their system....

Argos!

What's your milegae results????