PDA

View Full Version : An alternative To EFIE

redneckgearhead34
09-16-2008, 05:40 PM
I believe I have found an alternative to an EFIE.

Correct me if I am wrong but the more volts the computer recieves from the O2 sensor the leaner the fuel mixture becomes.

I was thinking why not just have a AA battery that adds a little voltage at a time. My goal is to be able to add .1v at a time.

I believe I have got it close.

A fixed 100 ohm resister in series with a variable resister you can tune to 1400 ohms.

This is what if found as the potentiometer http://potentiometer.com/MW10.cfm?session_num=2008091612385762

Painless
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I had the same idea a short while back, I only got HHO running in my truck today so haven't approached ECU mods yet.

I was thinking of taking 12v from the vehicle, running it through a 5v regulator and using a fixed resistor and variable pot to add to the voltage.

A guy on youtube had the same idea and actually built the unit.

I was also thinking that it would be good for the circuit to have a cap, to ensure the voltage never goes over 0.9 as some ECU's will flag a bad o2 if this happens.

Painless
09-16-2008, 06:22 PM
The guy on youtube is madscientist67. Check out his video's of his COSM.

redneckgearhead34
09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I saw the video but I currently dont have any sound. Is he trying to say that the COSM simulates the 02 sensor and the real 02 sensor isn't actually plugged into ECU? I will watch it again when I can get back home

SpecHunter
09-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I just built the one that the utube guy did yesterday and installed it this morning. I`m going to build my dual maf/map tomorrow. It seems to work.

93 sable wagon
ss lowes plate design 4 mpg w/out efiee
:D

SpecHunter
09-28-2008, 10:02 PM
The same guys (mad scientist/zerofossilfuel) are working on a small venturi orfice that installs in your airintake ductwork to enhance intake vacuum . He has a video on that too.

hhocavalier
10-01-2008, 11:31 PM
i built one of thies with a 100k potentiometer and a single aa battery holder from radioshake, it cost me $7. to build and i added volts till the o2 wasent reading any lower then .45 at any time and it works great so far. im going to run threw a tank or 2 before i say its perfect

JonDoh
10-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Yea... that's what some call the Poor Man's EFIE :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHJ9te7gvk

Painless
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm having a really confusing time trying to get this to work on my Ram, here's a very crude (quickly drawn) picture of what my circuit and wiring looks like:

http://www.hhoknowhow.info/%7Eruss/images/voltadder.jpg

When I connect up a voltmeter to *JUST* the adder circuit (negative to battery negative, positive to pot output) I can easily create between 0 and 600 millivolts by turning the pot. However, when I connect up to my vehicle two things happen:

1) The signal does not fluctuate as much as it should and sometimes not at all.

2) Turning the pot makes no difference to the O2 signal whatsoever.

Btw, when checking the O2 voltage with the circuit I have my voltmeter positive touched on the pot output and the voltmeter negative connected to vehicle ground.

I'm guessing that it is my trucks weird 2.5v base signal that is causing problems here, can anyone with a bit more electrical knowhow help me out?

resago
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I think the best device would be some kind of flow meter hooked up to our output line and use it as an input to the circuit that adjusts the O2 sensor reading.

Ultimately, we want the ECU to use the flow info in its calculations.

perhaps someone will make an inline module that will take that signal and modify all the other appropriate signals before the computer.

redneckgearhead34
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Yea... that's what some call the Poor Man's EFIE :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHJ9te7gvk

I liked this guys fuel flow meter i think is what it is? Dang I wish I had all day to work on this stuff

Painless
10-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Been doing some reading up on pots and how they should be wired, looks like that's my problem (never realised they were that complicated!). Looks like I need to provide my base voltage (o2 sensor output) to the left-hand connection (looking down onto the top) and my 1.5v to the right-hand side. The signal to the ECU will come from the center.

Can't wait to try this tomorrow morning.

SpecHunter
10-03-2008, 04:05 PM
A standard single gang pot is shown in Figure 5. The important external bits are shown so you can refer to them as needed. I have (somewhat arbitrarily) numbered the terminals as 1, 2 and 3. Terminal 2 is the wiper. For a "standard" volume control application, 1 is normally connected to ground, the input is applied to 3, and the output taken from 2 (wiper) allowing the output to be varied from ground (no signal) to input (maximum signal).

Just an article I found that helped me.

Painless
10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Spechunter, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I had read up on pots and got to grips with the ground / wiper and output but just realised why my 3v input cannot augment a signal which is up to 3.5 volts.

Thanks again!

Russ.

SpecHunter
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Spechunter, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I had read up on pots and got to grips with the ground / wiper and output but just realised why my 3v input cannot augment a signal which is up to 3.5 volts.

Thanks again!

Russ.

No problem... I just posted a new thread with an easy maf/map schematic if you need it..:)

theramsey3
11-05-2008, 05:34 PM
i have found a schematic for a dual efie that gets its power from a 12vdc power source and will cost less than $15 to build http://www.alt-nrg.org/efie.html
and the link for the parts list http://www.alt-nrg.org/efiepl.html
I have found on my '92 FORD Ranger 2.3L 2x4 that just modifying the MAF that i still have a problem with the computer richening the mixture and i sometimes get the cel because the o2 says its running lean so when i get my money right i will build one of these efie's and post my results

Randohr
12-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I am currently using two "poor mans" efies and have had no problems with them. I use a fixed resistor, a pot and a 9v battery. I installed test lead jacks so I can read the O2 sensor voltage/efie voltage and a DPDT switch so I can disengage the bias voltage if I'm not injecting HHO. I'm happy with the 9v batteries life. My truck's efie battery has been maintaining for @ 5 months. The only draw back is I have to remember to shut it off when I shut the truck off so the battery doesn't drain. I tried making them from voltage regulators powered by the vehicles 12vdc source, but learned the hard way about why the efie voltage needs to "float". Eagle Researches design is sweet! Take DC in, regulate it, create AC, couple the AC to an iso transformer, rectify the secondary, then run it through a "poor mans efie" circuit on the output. I bought two...for my current build.

Gforce
02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
If you add a general purpose diode to the battery circuit it will regulate the battery output and extend the life indefinitely. At least way longer than your car. For those electronic savy folks the forward drop on a diode is 0.7 to 0.5Volts which is just what you need for adding a few tenths to the oxygen sensor output.

Don't worry I am not selling anything but I have done a couple of videos and posted on youtube just search on Gforce1956