PDA

View Full Version : Ultraviolet

1973dodger
09-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Over the last few days I've been researching alternatives to weakening the covalent bond of a water molecule. One of the interesting options I have found in some research, uv light is used to mimic photosynthesis. The thought behind this research is to send photons thru the water to disrupt the normal ebb and flow of the water molecule. It turns out, there are many types of uv light. The light of choice appears to be VUV, which is vaccuum ultraviolet. Also, some research has used x-ray and some has used an intense laser light to break down water on a molecular scale. The uv light seems to be the most doable at this stage. If anyone has some expertise in this field, I would be interested in some basic information in this field. Certainly, one has to use precautions with this type of light, because of radiation, but it looks exciting.

1973dodger

Cadillac
09-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Vacuum ultraviolet rays are really UVC. The atmosphere blocks out all UVC from entering the Earth. Most likely why you never hear it talked about in mainstream conversation. UVC is a very deadly ray. With direct exposure it can kill almost every living organism on the planet, generally very quickly too.

As far as using to break the bond of water I do not know. If you where going to experiment with something in the fashion your best bet would be to obtain a UV sterilizer. These are used in aquariums. They are not that cheap. The effectively kill anything living thing that passes through them good or bad. They are made to flow water. The only other way to obtain UVC is through HID lighting systems. They generally produce very little and are not practical for what you are talking about. UV sterilizers are pretty harmless to the user.

UVA and UVB are really harmless. Extreme exposure could cause skin and eye problems. You actually use UVB to metabolise calcium across your duodem just like a lot of reptiles. The process starts when your skin is exposed to UVB. A human can only see three colors. It is UVA that helps you to decide for everything in between. Since the Earth is bombarded with these at all times I would think they are useless for your cause otherwise we would have more hydrogen by itself.

1973dodger
09-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Cadillac,

While, admittedly, there are some serious concerns, the theory of this makes some sense. Now as far as vuv the same as uvc, from what research I have done, the wave length, shorter being better, is critical and is more important than the intensity. The uvc has a rating of 280nm to 100 nm, while the vuv has a rating of 200nm to 10nm. There is some common ground there and I am still doing some research as to what wave length is optimum. The questions I have is, where is this light applied, how does the light enter the cell spacing, or is that critical, where does one get a vuv light, will it penetrate thru glass, polycarbonate, plastic. What effect will it have on our cell containers. Still more questions than answers.

1973dodger

Cadillac
09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I think we might both be wrong about the UV-C and V-UV, at least according to this link (www.aquariumfish.net/information/uv_sterilization.htm). I always heard anything under 280 nm was UV-C. I guess I was wrong.

The link talks a little about how aquarium UV sterilizers work. I don't really think there is any availability on lights that produces V-UV. UV-C is pretty dangerous. Might be the only option.

I don't doubt that intense UV would weaken the bond.

1973dodger
09-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Good article Cadillac, I'm a pond hobbiest anyway, so I naturally enjoyed the info. I have a uv pond filter, I just am not sure of the type of uv it is. I got my info from wikipedia, but this article seems pretty credible. I am giving some thought to a long and narrow Boyce style electrolizer with a uvc light just above the electrodes above the water level. The Quartz tube mentioned in this article is a good feature, since it appears most glass and plastics block or partially block the effects of the uv radiation.

1973dodger

resago
10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
ultrasonics could be used as well. all we're talking about here is exciting the atom.(i think)

every see the star in the test-tube experiment?

coffeeachiever
11-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I read somewhere in the Stan Meyer stuff that he was using some kind of laser in his last designs. In his day some people called LED light a laser and some have speculated that he was using a red LED. I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but if I run across it again I will post it.