PDA

View Full Version : Cutting, sanding and demagnetizing

richardb200373
09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Need some opinions on cutting, sanding and grinding edges of the plates.
Also, I saw a website that talked about a 3 phase demagnetizing of plates.
I read some of the earlier forums about cutting with a dremmel or pnuematic cut off tool, sounds good, what about using a chop saw on stainless? Should there be any concerns of using high speed electrical equipment, will there be a magnetizing change? Next, sanding, what does everyone think about sanding the plates on a belt sander, maybe 80 grade.
And last, any input on grinding the edges a little to get rid of any sharp edges. Oh, one more, anyone know about demagnetizing? Thanks again.

ElementalPhase
09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
I think that belt sanding would make the surface to uniform. I would think you should be able to rotate it in the light and see the grain's reflection not follow the rotation.

fishkiller72
09-17-2008, 11:31 PM
cut-off wheels work well.I wouldn't recomend a chop saw unless it has a composite blade like the cut-off wheel.I use a small disc grinder with 50 grit to clean up the edges after cutting. haven't tried demagnatizing yet.

jaker
09-19-2008, 12:06 AM
do somebody can work it??

Static HHO
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
If you're going through all this trouble with plate sanding, roughing why don't you just build a closed cell? You can cut your 316L S.S. with a cut off wheel, drill your gas in/out holes, cut some gaskets and bolt it all together with two end plastic end plates. Doing this eliminates the edge current lost using a cell stack in a bath. Edge current lost is where the heat comes from. Better to do away with it first. All electrial conections are made outside the cell stack, not in the electrolyte....very dangerous, in the first place. Write to me at rlsmith621@yahoo.com for details and pix. Happy HHO-ing in N. GA