PDA

View Full Version : old lead-acid car battery?

stroker
09-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Do you guys think that an old and cleaned out car battery would make a good gen? I was just thinking that it is set up for something like this but I have never been able to take one apart and see how it looks inside. Maybe someone on here would be able to provide some info on this.

I have a battery I can test if you think this might work.

mytoyotasucks
09-21-2008, 03:19 AM
this has been discussed a few time on this forum, search for it and u will see this is a bad idea, because of the lead in the battery.

stroker
09-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Telling someone to search is kinda lame. I did, but maybe I was not specific enough. Stated in my post was to clean out the battery and by that what I meant was to remove everything and use the sell for the gen. It already is built for the weight and heat. Sorry if I offended you by correcting you in another post.

mytoyotasucks
09-21-2008, 03:44 AM
Telling someone to search is kinda lame. I did, but maybe I was not specific enough. Stated in my post was to clean out the battery and by that what I meant was to remove everything and use the sell for the gen. It already is built for the weight and heat. Sorry if I offended you by correcting you in another post.

well than all u need to do is make sure u can seal the lid on, so theres no leakage.

good idea for a box though

hg2
10-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Do you guys think that an old and cleaned out car battery would make a good gen? I was just thinking that it is set up for something like this but I have never been able to take one apart and see how it looks inside. Maybe someone on here would be able to provide some info on this.

I have a battery I can test if you think this might work.

Stroker an idea I've seen for a lid is bolt 1"x1" nylon strips around the outside top edge and buy a plastic cutting board from wal-mart and cut it to size.Drill thru the lid and the stripping for the bolts to secure the lid,then make a gasket to fit made of neoprene or soft pvc sheet.

resago
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
there is someone on ebay doing this. look for 15 plate.
might give you some ideas.

solo33
10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Now there's an idea! I relocated my battery to the back on my XB so'd I'd
have a place to put my H-generater. If I used a Batt Box for the thang I could set 'em back in the battery holder. Hell, nobody'd know :D:D:D