PDA

View Full Version : AFR on Tacoma's and Tundra's

d37gps
06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Well, has anybody had any sucess with the AFR's on Toyota's? I made 2 kits for a 2001 Tacoma 4 cyl. and a 2003 Tundra 4.7 V-8. The EFIE's I purchased won't work. They both have AFR's, not O2 sensors. Any one heard how to get around these?
Thanks, Gerald... :(

jaxbrian
07-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I have a 2007 tacoma and am about to install a HHO system? What is a AFR? Are you talking about the MAF sensor?

wsv3424
07-27-2008, 01:21 AM
ready to build my system and went to read about EFIE only to learn a 5 wire system on toyotas are NOT compatible for HHO due to the computer not seeing the EFIE ,disregards it I think ..
what have you done to remedy this or do you have 4 wire on the 4cyl.?
seems crazy that a late model toyota truck cant get benefits of HHO , ludicrous ...
anyone w/an educated factual reply please by all means bend my ear !! seriously, nobody can say w/absolutes that it will or wont be beneficial . PLEASE ADVISE...
what to do ENGINEERS ,ELECTRONIC GURU'S OUT THERE IN hho LAND
goin' whacky!!!!!!!!!!help

jaxbrian
07-27-2008, 09:10 AM
I have found two other forums talking about the AFr sensor on a Toyota.
http://www.fuel-saver.org/Forum/showthread.php?tid=1172
http://www.fuel-saver.org/Forum/showthread.php?tid=1038

They have not found a way to fool the AFR just yet. But I think they will come to a answer before anyone else will

wsv3424
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
check out : www.hydrogenreactors.com
they state their NEW LINX will do the trick needed for the 4 wire wideband sensors/afr's
have ordered a HR1 system w/2 extra Blox for the toy 00' 3.4L v6 w/afr and will attempt to double MPG.
have had numerous correspondence w/staff there and will post results as soon as I can get time to install after I get it
said it will be a week or so cause they are in houston and the storm has set them back a bit on production numbers. I have researched hho now 1 yr. ..these guys seem to be the best and very reasonable for all you get w/HR1
let me hear from anyone having sucess and I will reciprocate!! cheers all!!

jaxbrian
08-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Have you installed it yet? How is it working with the AFR?

hydropower KY
08-23-2008, 09:37 PM
No,I don't think he has because I have had three of them ordered since 7/13 and still havent seen them.I'm beginning to get a little discouraged.I keep e-mailing and calling but nobody's listening or calling me back.

jimbo40
08-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I have an 2000 tundra 4.7 I use extenders 18mm and they work really good.
Are you sure your are working with the o2 sensors before the catylitic converter?

John Sargent
11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
check out : www.hydrogenreactors.com
they state their NEW LINX will do the trick needed for the 4 wire wideband sensors/afr's
have ordered a HR1 system w/2 extra Blox for the toy 00' 3.4L v6 w/afr and will attempt to double MPG.
have had numerous correspondence w/staff there and will post results as soon as I can get time to install after I get it
said it will be a week or so cause they are in houston and the storm has set them back a bit on production numbers. I have researched hho now 1 yr. ..these guys seem to be the best and very reasonable for all you get w/HR1
let me hear from anyone having sucess and I will reciprocate!! cheers all!!

Howdy,
The correct address for the company you quoted above is:
http://www.hydroreactors.com/index_files/Page368.htm .
However, there is nothing here that says this unit does anything with AFR sensors. I have the same problem as you with my 2007 and 2005 Hondas, both have AFR (not O2) sensors, and even with HHO units working, mileage is reducing to the usual limits.
Any help out there or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
John

John Sargent
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Hello All,
I have two Hondas, 2005 and 2007, both w/hho units and AFR sensors. I tried 25 ohm potentiometers on both, got initial good results and then lost them over time because the ECUs on both are adaptive.
That means they "learn" and adjust to compensate. Yesterday, I found this, and am going to try it. Have been in touch with this guy, everything seems legit, and recommend you try it before spending a lot of money on electronics that may or may not work.
"I shared with him the issues I had with my Toyota truck and the AFR sensor.
It was then, that he began to explain why tampering with the electronics can really cause problems later. He suggested flashing the ECM several times, each time lasting about 3 months or until the results wore off, then flash again. Eventually the ECM adapts. It's like trying to remember something....you read it or repeat it several times until it's engrained.
Neurons at work.
It appears these ECU's have the capacity to retain info even after flashings."
Yes, they do, because of "keep alive memory". Here is what it is:

"The computer's decide stage takes the data from these sensors (more on them later) and makes decisions about what to do based on the input. While a computer cannot make two different decisions based on the same information, the computer itself has state based on the keep alive memory (KAM). The computer is programmed to make decisions over time about the optimal way to operate the engine, and it stores the results of these decisions in the KAM so that over time it can adapt to changes in the motor due to wear of the engine and associated components. Program code is loaded from the ROM and executed by the CPU to process the sensor data and control the actuators in the act stage. Especially since the introduction of OBD-II, OEMs are using EEPROM and Flash RAM to store the "ROM" code so that it can be updated at a later time without replacing any physical hardware."

So the secret is in the "keep alive memory", a memory chip in the ecu that stores data and does not lose it even when the ecu or car computer is reset.

Which means that exactly what you wrote should work just fine. I'm going to try it on our two Hondas and see what happens. The adaptive ecu's I have in both cars have "learned" to adjust for HHO BUT have not been reset.

I'm taking my pots off, and going with straight HHO w/reset of ECU. Bet it will learn over time to work with HHO effectively.
John

jaxbrian
11-19-2008, 05:48 PM
What is the best way to reset the ECU? Disconnect the battery terminals? Or is a scanner required?

John Sargent
11-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Disconnect your battery cables, next...locate the fuse for your ECM and pull it. Leave it off for about an hour, then put fuse back in before connecting battery. This will clear the memory now to accept the HHO into the system. This should last for about (3) months before making the same adjustments. After about (3-4) times, the adaptive memory will now recognize the HHO as part of the mixture. Process may take up to a year, but you don't mess with the electronics; it is slower but safer; and definitely cheaper than buying electronic parts that may or may not work (and they don't with AFR sensors).

Keith's Garage
11-20-2008, 12:38 PM
First, the best way to reset the computer is with a scan tool.

John, I am interested in this theory of resetting the ECU to have it adapt to HHO. Is this something that you have personally gotten to work or is this just a theory. I personally do not feel this will work. Computers will learn, that is true, but they were not programmed to learn the properties of HHO. Please let me know what evidence there is that this will work. I am very curious.

coffeeachiever
11-24-2008, 01:55 AM
If it could just be that simple. Please, please, please post whatever results you get. I am waiting with baited breath.

John Sargent
11-24-2008, 10:50 AM
First, the best way to reset the computer is with a scan tool.

John, I am interested in this theory of resetting the ECU to have it adapt to HHO. Is this something that you have personally gotten to work or is this just a theory. I personally do not feel this will work. Computers will learn, that is true, but they were not programmed to learn the properties of HHO. Please let me know what evidence there is that this will work. I am very curious.

Hi Keith,
Thanks for the info on resetting with the scanner. Here is some info from Bart Rosario, who attended the recent HHO expo in Florida. This is where I got the idea for trying the reset of the ECU.

"It was at the Water4Games Games (check out the website; Water4Gas.com), that I met well known, Jerry Watkins. This man has been building/installing vehicles throughout the USA.

I shared with him the issues I had with my Toyota truck and the AFR sensor. It was then, that he began to explain why tampering with the electronics can really cause problems later. He suggested flashing the ECM several times, each time lasting about 3 months or until the results wore off, then flash again. Eventually the ECM adapts. It's like trying to remember something....you read it or repeat it several times until it's engrained. Neurons at work. It appears these ECU's have the capacity to retain info even after flashings."

I began wondering how the ECU could retain the initial info with HHO being added after it had been reset, and found this:

The reason the HHO adjustments are not lost is because the ECU has "keep alive memory", which is not lost when power is. Same principle as a ROM chip, hard drive, etc. So, it is possible to, over several months, to re-program your ECU to accept and run with HHO.

Here is the info on "keep alive memory" and the link:
http://everything2.com/e2node/ECU

"The computer's decide stage takes the data from these sensors (more on them later) and makes decisions about what to do based on the input. While a computer cannot make two different decisions based on the same information, the computer itself has state based on the keep alive memory (KAM). The computer is programmed to make decisions over time about the optimal way to operate the engine, and it stores the results of these decisions in the KAM so that over time it can adapt to changes in the motor due to wear of the engine and associated components. Program code is loaded from the ROM and
executed by the CPU to process the sensor data and control the actuators in the act stage. Especially since the introduction of OBD-II, OEMs are using EEPROM and Flash RAM to store the "ROM" code so that it can be updated at a later time without replacing any physical hardware."

Keith, I realize that I may be totally off-base on this, but it seems to me that it is better to try resetting the ECU periodically and not trying to mess with the wideband AFR sensors, which I have in my 2 Hondas. I too am hoping that you and the guys at Split Second can come up with an electronic mod for the AFR sensors, but hasn't happened yet, has it?

Is it correct that, as of now, there is no real way to adjust the AFR in wideband AFR sensor equipped cars?

I respect your opinion and input, and am definitely interested in your take on all of this. Thanks much for taking the time to reply, in advance!

John

wsv3424
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
john, any promising news on the toy afr's systems re-learning?

John Sargent
03-12-2009, 06:56 AM
AFR nightmares are over, as the resetting didn't work. Tried several times. In December, the first real, working efie for wideband efie for afrs came out, I bought two, put them each on our Accord and Civic, and they have been working great. Here is where I got them (their support is great also, and they will send you a wiring diagram of which wire is the one to use):

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=189

Hope this helps,
John