PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Scion Xb fumafuma electrode 3 LPM

hoboincidaho
09-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Oddly enough, I was speaking to someone lately about the Map/Maf and o2 mods necessary for my Xb. I've "smacked" my bike, and currently the VESPA is in pieces waiting for a new lean life, but my car just sits there.

It's inevitable....Im not even done with my current mods and I'm about to hack my daily driver.

Man that touchscreen VMU unit would be a perfect solution if it works. Anybody got one? I'm all about one-stop shopping. I have much love for the VMU since I first heard about it.

Basically any info on beating the toyota mayhem that I hear about would be appreciated.

JonDoh
10-09-2008, 03:40 AM
have you done any work on the Scion??

I'm getting ready to hook up an 08'.... was just wondering the pros & cons before I get started....... Let us know?!

solo33
11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
So far I've added Acetone...zilch milage increase. Now, after reading a story on another forum about a guy with a big pickup who added two extenders to his primary O2 sensor along with an hho setup, who claimed to pick up 25 % increased milage improvement on the road and 33 % in town, I decided to try it before I added my Efie. But, after 104 miles, my little Scion (call it toyota) XB used 3.6 gallons of Union 76 Regular. That's only 29 mpg! OUCH! What happened. That's a loss of 4 mpg. I better quite writing and remove the extenders from the car. It's 'sposed to rain soon which will create the 24/7 cold fog condx we get here in central CA.
Any ideas why this happened I'd sure like to hear 'em. :mad::mad::mad:

Super Fuel FX
11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Questions:

1) How much acetone did you add to the gas, and how much gas was in the tank?

*The effects vary per vehicle. Some need all 3oz of acetone, and some, like my wife's 05 Grand Cherokee, need only 2.25oz per 10gal of gas.

2) Was the container labeled "Pure Acetone", or just acetone?

*There are containers of acetone that are not pure. They contain a percentage of water, which does nothing for increasing gas mileage, in fact, it hurts it. Make sure it is pure.

3)Does your supply of gas contain any alcohol in it (eg. E85)?

*Ethanol or any other alcohol destroys all gains from using acetone, and in some cases, DECREASES your gas mileage. Haven't figured that one out yet. Something about how the alcohol binds the gas molecules together, vs. breaking them down. Still working on this with my chemist friend.

I have a 2001 F150 4X4 that I currently run 2.75oz of acetone to 10gal of gas, and get a 28% gas mileage increase on the Highway Only. I have seen little to no increase during city driving. I also enlisted my work trucks to try this out - the night trucks run almost exclusively on the freeway, and see 20% + increase in gas mileage. The day trucks don't get anything near that.

solo33
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replay. The Acetone is by Klean Strip. It is said on the Internet to be 100% pure. My son is driving a '92 Honda. He is using 3 Oz out of the same can and went from 18 to 25 mpg in town. Only difference, I buy my gas from Costco and '76. He buys his from a Chevron near his home.
I wouldn't be surprised I'm buying Ethanol and he isn't. So I'm going to remove the un-working HHO stuff from my XB, for the moment, and retry the Acetone with his brand of gas. Oh my gas tank holds 11 gals and I added the Acetone when I filled up for the test. I'll repost the results in a week or so (Ijust filled up at Costco this morning and have a full tank now. Thanks again. Appreciated, Ron.:)

Dustin
11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
I tried the Acetone thing a while back. I went to CVS and picked up some 100% Acetone for my '97 Bravada with the 4.3 liter V-6. It did absoutely nothing according to my overhead display. I never did figure the mileage the old fashion way with a calculator. I just assumed if there was an increase, the display would show it. I am trying it again and will figure the mileage by the numbers. I put 6 oz. in my 19 gallon tank.

Super Fuel FX
11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I tried the Acetone thing a while back. I went to CVS and picked up some 100% Acetone for my '97 Bravada with the 4.3 liter V-6. It did absoutely nothing according to my overhead display. I never did figure the mileage the old fashion way with a calculator. I just assumed if there was an increase, the display would show it. I am trying it again and will figure the mileage by the numbers. I put 6 oz. in my 19 gallon tank.

Dustin, Did you reset your MPG computer before you started off with the acetone? What you see over head is an average for the whole time it was on, before being reset. Also, it takes about 50 miles before seeing results.

Dustin
11-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Fuel FX,
I reset my display when I filled up. I put the acetone in at the gas station then filled up to make sure it was throughly mixed. After reading the 50 mile thing, I reset my display on the way to work thinking the acetone needs a little time to "work" on the gasoline. My drive to work was the same as all the other days. Lights on, defroster off, and the wind in the morning is usually the same. I got the same 22.8 mpg as with straight gasoline. It's been several tanks since I tried any acetone and I always run the tank near empty so I know there wasn't any left throwing my test off. I have a scan tool that will allow me to watch to sensors while I'm driving. I might do that and see if it changes the fuel trims and timing. Does the acetone raise the octane rating? I know it's supposed to break the gas down into smaller particles to allow more air to attach to the molecules but wasn't sure if it would change the octane rating. I really want to see improvements with this but to be honest, as gas prices go down, the results from acetone must go up to make it cost effective.

Super Fuel FX
11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Acetone raises the octane rating of the fuel. It is weird that you haven't seen any increases. I use it all the time when driving on the x-way only (it doesn't work for me in the city). I have seen gains of over 26% in both my '01 F150, and my '05 Grand Cherokee, and over 38% increase on my Harley, which I don't have to use Premium anymore... And yes, it doesn't make sense to use it when the additive costs more that the gas it saves. I can get a 1 gal can at Menards for under $11.

Dustin
11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I did try it in my lawnmower. I race go karts so I took my tach off of the kart and put it on the 3.5 h.p. engine. The tach has an RPM pick up and a cylinder head temperature lead that goes between the spark plug and the cylinder head. I ran it for 10 minutes on straight gas to get a baseline. The engine ran something like 3100 rpm at full throttle and 2200 rpm at "idle" which isn't really an idle. The cylinder head temperature was around 330*F. These numbers are from memory from this summer. I then put a teaspoon of acetone in the gas and stirred it up. I started it up and it still ran the 3100 rpm full throttle BUT ran 2350 rpm (150 rpm more) at the so called idle. I seem to recall the cylinder head temperature to be around 340*F....about 10* hotter.

What I found was:
1. The full throttle speed was the same due to the fact that the engine has a govenor to control the engine's speed. The only thing I could have done on this would be to put a measured amount of fuel in and time how long it ran on each fuel. This would give an idea of the effenciency of each fuel. The more effencient the fuel, the more the govenour would close the butterfly to control engine speed. The less the butterfly is open, the less fuel it would use.
2. The "idle" position on the carburetor closes the butterfly and runs off of a set amount of air AND fuel. Since the govenor is out of the picture, then this to me is a measurement of the fuel and air's potential. The straight gas run was 2200 rpm and the gas with acetone run was 2350 rpm. The 150 rpm pickup is undeniablely due to the acetone. The butterfly was closed on both runs so there was the same amount of fuel and air. The load was the blade and the fan blades on the flywheel of which all stayed the same. As far as the 10*F increase in temperature.....is the acetone a hotter buring fuel by itself or is it causing more of the gasoline to burn thus producing more heat? I know it raises the octane rating which is just a measure of how easily it burns, not the energy it contains so I don't think the octane rating being more would raise the temperature of the burn.

I believe the acetone works, I just can't get it to work on my car which drives me nuts. As far as I'm concerned, this little test proves it. It sped an engine up with the same given load using the same given fuel and air ratio.