PDA

View Full Version : Scangauge or similiar for vehicles older than 94

JonDoh
09-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I was just about to purchase one of those scangauge's but found out it doesn't work on anything older than a 94' ....... does anybody know of units similar to what the scangauge does that can be used with older vehicles??

post links

SpecHunter
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
let me know if you find out anything about this. I guess the new ecu`s are obd2 and mine is an obd1kanobe:D

redneckgearhead34
10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
let me know if you find out anything about this. I guess the new ecu`s are obd2 and mine is an obd1kanobe:D

Haha nice one. I dont think they make anything like this. I have never seen one. But I could be wrong

SpecHunter
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Haha nice one. I dont think they make anything like this. I have never seen one. But I could be wrong

Sure they do Redneck :cool: My transmission is an OU812. :D

scirockett
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
There really isn't much onboard diagnostics in pre '94/'95 vehicles.. The three standard levels are ODB0 (ie, non-compliant), OBD1, and OBD2. OBD2 is the only one that's useful and gives you realtime access to codes and sensor data. the OU812 transmission may have proprietary diagnostics, but OBDX is the industry standard and designed for use in all manufacturers.

Often OBD0 and OBD1 vehicles will store codes (often on EPROMs, not EEPROMS, so they fill up) and flash them out with LED's.. laaame, but it worked.. so if you have a vehicle with this Pre-obd2 capability, all you need is an LED to read the codes (and a manual to figure out what the flashes mean...)

SpecHunter
10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Kewl , Thanks for helping us out with that Scirokett, Got me led flasher in me pocket. :D

redneckgearhead34
10-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I think I was thinking of something along the lines of what mr. smith has in his jetta. Something that will allow me to adjust the ECU setting with my computer.

SpecHunter
10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Kewl
Let me know if there is software readily available for the older vehicles..
I build puters / networks/ etc.
I`ve got a couple IBM stinkpads.:D

Tremorfalcon
10-10-2008, 08:27 AM
There is a MPG gauge available for older vehicles. Some use vacuums gauges but those are very rough estimates and aren't very reliable. There is an open-source device you can build for around $50. It is called MPGuino. The developers are still working on the programming a bit to work out a few bugs, but a lot of people are pleased with it. It looks like ScanGauge but doesn't have any many features. It works on any vehicle with fuel injection, OBD1 or OBD2. It can be found here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mpguino-release-one-workspace-2115.html

Yoshi, a member on Ecomodder and GasSavers.org, used to build OBD1 MPG gauges and sold them for a little over $100 (I think that's what the price was.) However, as far as I know he's taking a break and has stopped production but I think there is a waiting list if he starts it back up. His device was called the SuperMID.

I'd encourage people to try to build the MPGuino, my electronics knowledge is very limited and I'm still pretty sure I can do it as soon as I get the money.

Oh, and you don't have to worry about your MAF/MAP enhancers or EFIEs causing it to give false readings. It works by tapping into the fuel injection wire and the VSS (speed) wire. As long as you don't modify those two things, it will be accurate.

JonDoh
10-10-2008, 02:26 PM
^^^^ Awwww YeaH.... :) ..... I knew somebody had a solution!!!

BUT WOWZERS.... That looks complicated?!?! :confused:

If anybody got anything else POST!

I'm looking for a plug & play type :D

SpecHunter
10-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Geeze
I think I should have stopped at devry online college and got an electronics degree before i went to that site. There`s no way I could build that...
How bout a hamster on a wheel ... simple design .... MPHamster per gallon.:D