PDA

View Full Version : New Here..

jacobnbr1
10-03-2008, 09:35 PM
I edited this post because i need a good thread with some people about these computer related issues.

I renamed the topic...

I have recently installed a "joe cell" on a 2002 chev astro 4.3 with 3 ho2's.

I have a 30 amp pwm on it and I'm currently looking to curb the ecm for the added hho.

I installed a set of o2 spacers but as I'm looking on my diagnostics machine ( mac mentor ) I'm not seeing a change at all take place.

The next step is to install a " DUAL MAP/MAF PLUS O2 SENSOR " buy-able from ebay and pre assembled.

I haven't run the vehicle yet to see if i have any results yet but clearly with the run time Ive seen so far i don't see any unusual values in the trim or ho2's.

Ive run the car for about an 2 hours and I'm producing 1.5 liters per minute and with 8 amps draw so I'm really happy with the system.

I think I'm going to run the car and see what develops.

I did set the timing to 0-tdc but is not adjustable to the average "joe sixpack" that doesn't have an expensive machine.

jacobnbr1
10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
As i had posted the other day that the values didn't seem to be all that out of whack and after some research and some dialouge with a few fellow mechanics we came to the conclusion that the ECM must remain in an organic state so it has the chance to accept the gas and do all the adjustments for us.

The objective is to have the ECM keep the correct mixture of air/fuel ratio and timing without doing any manual pots or add ons.

As of right now there are only two ways of doing this.

1. Changing the "baro" reading to a higher alltitude which means less oxygen than usual. That means a processed lean order from the PCM
The only problem is we are adding more oxygen to the exhaust but i personally feel just adding '' stand offs" to the ho2's will work just fine.
The only 2 questions are= Will there be any gains? and to what degree resistor do we solder in?

2. Restricting airflow to the engine.
Restricting the airflow to the engine as if it were never there to begin with..

Let's think about this for a second....

An ICE is basically an air pump, the more you can get in and out the more power you get... If the air is not recieved through the maf the engeine automatically compensates for the lack of air and recalibrates the income to the fuel mixture for you keeping a 14:7-1 ratio or thereabouts which is why when your air filter is really clogged up you don't recieve a DTC.

If you add HOD down stream of the MAF we are adding more fuel and oxygen to the system and the ECM will probaby reduce fuel trim as much as possible causing the exact reaction we desire.

I say this because the original air that is incoming is accounted for and the amount of HOD is about 1.5 l per minute which isn't a whole lot to throw confusion to the ECM.

The ECM would just pass it off as a small vacum leak somewhere around the intake manifold

hg2
10-05-2008, 10:47 AM
As i had posted the other day that the values didn't seem to be all that out of whack and after some research and some dialouge with a few fellow mechanics we came to the conclusion that the ECM must remain in an organic state so it has the chance to accept the gas and do all the adjustments for us.

The objective is to have the ECM keep the correct mixture of air/fuel ratio and timing without doing any manual pots or add ons.

As of right now there are only two ways of doing this.

1. Changing the "baro" reading to a higher alltitude which means less oxygen than usual. That means a processed lean order from the PCM
The only problem is we are adding more oxygen to the exhaust but i personally feel just adding '' stand offs" to the ho2's will work just fine.
The only 2 questions are= Will there be any gains? and to what degree resistor do we solder in?

2. Restricting airflow to the engine.
Restricting the airflow to the engine as if it were never there to begin with..

Let's think about this for a second....

An ICE is basically an air pump, the more you can get in and out the more power you get... If the air is not recieved through the maf the engeine automatically compensates for the lack of air and recalibrates the income to the fuel mixture for you keeping a 14:7-1 ratio or thereabouts which is why when your air filter is really clogged up you don't recieve a DTC.

If you add HOD down stream of the MAF we are adding more fuel and oxygen to the system and the ECM will probaby reduce fuel trim as much as possible causing the exact reaction we desire.

I say this because the original air that is incoming is accounted for and the amount of HOD is about 1.5 l per minute which isn't a whole lot to throw confusion to the ECM.

The ECM would just pass it off as a small vacum leak somewhere around the intake manifold

I think test your theory using small mods is a good start.Some ecms have better learning ability than others,and you won't know until you try.But I think in the end to get maximum mpg improvment you will need to at least add an o2 enhancer along with the resistor mods.
All vehicles will have a different reaction to the introdution of hho,and tuning your vehicle to hho is sometimes very difficult to find the right combination.Most adjustments need to be made slowly,if you don't have patience in doing so the process could take much longer.The ecm won't tolerate radical changes to the sensors,in order to "fool" the ecm,the changes need to be slight so the ecm views them as no more than slight changes in pressure,temperature and oxygen.
This has been my experience with tuning and I've tried multiple methods to get good mpg results.
Remember when tuning for hho patience pays.