PDA

View Full Version : separate HH from O

mkmmcd
06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Hello, I am new to all of this, and have not yet built a system for my vehicle yet, but had an idea that I don't know is possible or not. Has anyone tried to use a container that has a split top that extends down into the electrolyte so that the hydrogen is generally collected by itself while the oxygen is generally collected by itself (I know you couldn't get a complete separation of the two). The hydrogen then could be piped into the manifold, while the oxygen is let out somewhere else. If this could be done, would it help solve the problem with too much oxygen, O2 sensors, etc.?

I know the concept in my head is hard to convey in words, and I am not a good artist to be able to draw my conception for you. If you can imagine an hho generator that has a partial separator on the lid so that it splits the top of the generator into two compartments (w/ the separator extending down into the water an inch or so). I know that you would not get as many liters/min of the gas coming out of the hydrogen side, since the oxygen would be piped out separately, but it would be a higher concentration of hydrogen, so maybe it wouldn't need to be as much?

I don't know, I have been thinking of different ways of doing it, and this idea has been in my head and wondered if it is possible, or if anyone else has tried it.

mkmmcd
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
I just noticed that another had the same idea, and posted a picture of the basic concept which you can see at: http://hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=93&d=1214247308

Johnh
06-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Most of the commercially available hydrogen electrolyzers work like this with maybe a semi-permeable membrane separating the plates to let the electrolyte through but keep the gasses seperate and a platinum recombiner in the hydrogen side to combust the last trace of oxygen and make storage more safe
Have a look at this one for a home power system Home power system (http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/h2homesystem.pdf)
Regards
John

amwewa66
06-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I have a quick question:

Do you have to have an equal number of positive to negative plates for electrolysis to work or can you increase the number of positive plates let's say 3 to 1 or 5 to 1 and still have good electrolysis?

Any Help is a good thing.

Andy
andy@millergren.com