PDA

View Full Version : What happens after I reset my Dodge ECU?

Painless
10-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I was wondering if there was someone on the forums in the know about Dodge ECU's?

I fitted O2 extenders to my 2006 Ram 4.7 yesterday and then disconnected the battery for an hour and a half. The reason for this is that I'd been toying with a poor mans EFIE before and had generated lots of lovely CEL's. I wanted to 'start afresh' as it were so that I would know if my O2 extenders caused a further CEL.

My question is this: After such a reset, apart from clearing codes, what else happens? Does the vehicle go through a stage of learning in terms of fuel / air mixing etc?

Since adding the extenders and resetting, I've only taken one 40 mile journey at mostly highway speeds to work today. Am wondering if it will take some time until my ECU gets it's act together and I see any improvements?

Thanks!

Russ.

HiTechRedNeck73
10-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I was wondering if there was someone on the forums in the know about Dodge ECU's?

I fitted O2 extenders to my 2006 Ram 4.7 yesterday and then disconnected the battery for an hour and a half. The reason for this is that I'd been toying with a poor mans EFIE before and had generated lots of lovely CEL's. I wanted to 'start afresh' as it were so that I would know if my O2 extenders caused a further CEL.

My question is this: After such a reset, apart from clearing codes, what else happens? Does the vehicle go through a stage of learning in terms of fuel / air mixing etc?

Since adding the extenders and resetting, I've only taken one 40 mile journey at mostly highway speeds to work today. Am wondering if it will take some time until my ECU gets it's act together and I see any improvements?

Thanks!

Russ.

yes, when you cleared the computer, you also cleared whatever learning was stored based on your driving habits and environment (you cleared the computer memory)...

also, for future reference... on your Dodge, you only need to open the under-hood fuse box and remove the fuse for the PCM (powertrain control module) and then, with that fuse removed, put the key in the ignition and turn it on but don't try to start... then turn the key off and re-install the fuse... that will wipe the memory clear without any wrenches...

another thing that's good to use, that is only for Chrysler cars and trucks, is what we call the "key dance"... you turn the key all the way on but don't try to start, then turn off, then back on, then turn off, then back on and leave on (do this within 5secs)... the PCM will use the odometer display to give you all the codes from the computer memory and will display "done" when finished. it will not clear the codes, but it does give you an idea about what is going on in the computer...

some here have expressed a need for proper testing of what the computer sees... this will give you some clues when the CEL comes on and you may not understand what you did... the computer has errors for sensor data being too large or small and these codes could help you determine that...

if you don't have a book about your vehicle, you can look up OBDII codes at this side for understanding...

http://www.obd-codes.com/

you can gain direct access to codes by adding the code to the address above... for example, if I wanted to know about P0304 I would enter this address...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0304

and that takes me directly there...

if you have any other questions about Chrysler vehicles, just let me know... I am not a tech for Chrysler, but I have done lots of research for my own vehicles...

2000 Dodge Dakota
2004 Dodge Intrepid
2006 Dodge Ram

Painless
10-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the information, I had heard about the key dance before and tried it, but I don't think I was doing it quick enough. Plus, the info I saw said to go all the way back to accessory. I'll keep that in mind.

I have a copy of the dealer service and repair manual for my Ram, so I should be ok in terms of codes.

I reset the MPG meter in the overhead before setting off to work today, but didn't really see any difference. I'm hoping that I just need to give it some time. Especially, when I know of others that have the exact same truck down to the year that have gotten 33% improvement with just O2 extenders. RadGenH2O on youtube is an example here, although, he also fitted extenders to the post CAT sensor which I didn't see the point of.

HiTechRedNeck73
10-08-2008, 05:39 PM
yea, I don't see the point of extenders on the post-cat sensors either... they don't do anything but tell the PCM that the cat is "OK" and they will throw a code if they plug up... but they don't really adjust fuel...

it's good to hear that extenders work on Chrysler vehicles... they all have similar programming and I don't have an HHO system up yet, so I will try those first and report...

on the key dance, don't go to accessory... just to off... it works every time for me so far in all my dodge vehicles...

I hadn't heard of RadGenH2O, but I'll look him up on utube... I've just been doing research so far, but plan to start building my own cell soon...

Painless
10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
it's good to hear that extenders work on Chrysler vehicles... they all have similar programming and I don't have an HHO system up yet, so I will try those first and report...

To clarify a little more, as far as Ram's are concerned, it seems that they work well on 4.7's like mine but not on the hemi's. Not too sure why that is.

I had noticed though, if you watch all of Rad's videos on o2 extenders. that he had no results with just one extender fitted but with two pulling the sensor right out of the exhaust stream he got results. I went ahead and fitted two to my pre-cat sensor.

With just one fitted, the o2 sensor's nose is still in the main stream, perhaps this is why some hemi owners report no gains with them?

hg2
10-08-2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks!

Russ.

Painless, pm Jaxom or Scirockett with your question,They seem to be the ecm,sensor pros on this forum.