PDA

View Full Version : What is BEST Shape? Cylinders or Rectangular or Discs

dennis13030
06-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm fishing for some recommedations.

Which type of plate(electrode) shape functions best and why?

Cylinders?

Rectangular(includes squares)?

Discs?

rmptr
06-28-2008, 08:23 PM
IMO easier to cut rectangles.

troymacdonald
06-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I have just made my first one. And while it doesn't rock out with all that high speed bubbling action I've seen on YouTube, it does work fairly well.

What I used were six stainless steel wall plates such as you would use for a room light switch. I drilled out the existing holes a little to fit the 1/4" bolts I used.

since I have a tendancy to spend wildly on random pet projects I'm trying to keep it simple and use as many household items as possible. My main electrolysis chamber is an old plastic pitcher.

volomike
06-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Thinking this through logically, I suppose it depends on whether you have the process running with the several pieces stacked vertically or laid horizontally. The gas desires to move upwards as fast as it can. To thwart that is to lesson the power, I would think -- although the gas will have to move up eventually, so it might not matter. A bubble moving around round edges seems to me to move more fluid than around square edges. And why? Because round edges have less surface tension, while square ones have more.

So, I would think that discs laying on their sides (not stacked) would create more power, but only marginally, as in .001 more than, say, squares/rectangles on their sides, or anything stacked.

This will take experimentation.

Stratous
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Your on the right track with the bubbles. One of the most important things to consider when creating HHO is bubbles. When the bubbles stick to the plates, then they are displacing the water. The more bubble displacement you have the less production you will get.

dennis13030
06-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks VoloMike

I would agree that verticle mounted plates regardless of there shape, should help with the flow of both Gases and water inside the cell(s).

The verticle mounted tube shape electrolyzers that I have been seeing all use retangular plates. This seems to result in a volume of water around the plates that is not being used. I'm sure that some of it will be converted to gas as the volume between the plates is converted and it moves into position between the plates.

In order to reduce the overall size of the electrolyzer, you may want to get rid of unused spaces and go with either a verticle water storage scheme or use a seperate reserve with a float valve inside the electrolyzer.

Ronjinsan
06-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Guys its all about surface area and shifting bubbles! I dont think that you can beat the multi tubular design for production because of its surface area to space consumed ratio but unless you can get 5 tubes inside each other the amp draw/ heat factor is hard to get past. Only thing I havent tried is muti tube in a vacuum hmmmmm maybe I should give that a go!

hahaboy
08-07-2008, 12:40 PM
i also ned to know coil wiring or plate whihc better ?

Walt
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Coil wiring is a defiinite waste. If you like to twist things do macreme. I did the wire thing and had melt downs and shorts up the wazzu. Plates tubes, cups, and such are much easier and more productive.

timetowinarace
08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Guys its all about surface area and shifting bubbles!

I agree. Surface area, surface area, surface area.

I believe I prefer the idea of spiraled/rolled plates. I know common termanology here for a spiraled design is for wire but plates can be spiraled(or rolled if you prefer that term) for a large surface area in a small space.

Example: Take two sheets of 6"X6" SS, put spacers between the plates and roll them into a roll. Place the roll in a 2" PVC pipe. Now you have lots of plate surface area in a small encloseable space.

Wanna add neutrals in there? I don't see why not. But because they are small diameter to begin with, just make three or more and wire them in series. Bundle them together or place them singley inside the engine compartment.

It's simple, plates do not need bolted together because once rolled they will want to push out against the sides of the pipe holding their position. So no drilling except for electrical connections. Even better is that BOTH sides of both plates are used for electrolysis. (most of both sides)

daveczrn
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
The verticle mounted tube shape electrolyzers that I have been seeing all use retangular plates. This seems to result in a volume of water around the plates that is not being used. I'm sure that some of it will be converted to gas as the volume between the plates is converted and it moves into position between the plates.

That volume of water will also keep the electrolyzer cooler.. i really don't see a problem with having extra electrolite around the plates... I think it's better to have more infact. it gives more room for the bubbles to sit in the eletrolite before they break the surface of the electrolite. this also gives more room for production because the electrolite is not sufficated with bubbles.

In order to reduce the overall size of the electrolyzer, you may want to get rid of unused spaces and go with either a verticle water storage scheme or use a seperate reserve with a float valve inside the electrolyzer.

i believe a storage tank for more electrolite is a good thing..

Guys its all about surface area and shifting bubbles! I dont think that you can beat the multi tubular design for production because of its surface area to space consumed ratio but unless you can get 5 tubes inside each other the amp draw/ heat factor is hard to get past. Only thing I havent tried is muti tube in a vacuum hmmmmm maybe I should give that a go!

how does the multi tubular design have an advantage? i don't think it has any advantages other than fitting inside a tube easier than a rectangle plate does... What if more people used rectangle boxes? wouldn't retangle plates work better in a retangle box than a tube inside a retangle box?

I believe that people just need to think about what would be a better design for the setup that they want to build.

HomeGrown
08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
One of the aspects I like about tubular design is that the positive electrodes are all isolated from the rest of the electrolyte bath. It would not be too difficult to totally isolate the + electrode so there would be zero current leakage. However, that's yet to be seen on my cell. Another driving factor is material availability and machinery availability. I've got a bench lathe and mill, so I can easily work with tubes. Someone with access to a laser or waterjet machine would do well to work with plates.

I think that construction quality and robustness is primary. Whether it's tubes or plates, it needs to be constructed with quality materials and workmanship.

justaguy
08-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I know a guy that has tried and compared about all types, washers, 2x6 plates , 3x3 double cell generators, wall switch covers and tubes. His best results are three generators hooked in series with 4 tubes 3", 2.5". 2", 1". The tubes are only 2" tall.
Configured +-+- in a 4" x 12" pvc connected in the bottom. Each generator produces 2 LPM. He said the greatest improvement was using three of these hooked in series. Low amps and low heat. Its impossible to find these tubes but you can bend the ss plates around a pipe the correct size and soldier together with silver soldier or weld it .

He also conditions his SS before installing.