PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Hydrogen Cell - Phase - I Completed.

tbhavsar
06-28-2008, 08:57 PM
FYI - I have finished phase I of my cell and it is producing hydrogen; but the production is slow; 500ml per 6 minutes.

My Config is: -nnnn+nnnn-; with 1/8 gap. Attached are the pics; Further comments/Input to improve overall design and gas production are welcomed. Attached are the photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tbhavsar/TusharSHydrogenCellPhaseI

Thanks

mneste8718
06-28-2008, 09:00 PM
What electrolyte are you using and how much? What amperage are you getting with such low production?

tbhavsar
06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for prompt reply; I am using Baking Soda;1/2 spoon in 1/2 gal. of distilled water. Also I am planning to use KOH or NnOH but I can not find it. It is available as part of drainage removal chemicals but I would like to use it in its pure form.

mneste8718
06-28-2008, 10:00 PM
To get KOH, look for websites of companies that sell soap making supplies. They usually will have KOH... baking soda is just not good...

tbhavsar
06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
To get KOH, look for websites of companies that sell soap making supplies. They usually will have KOH... baking soda is just not good...

Point taken, I will get it. Thanks again.

Stratous
06-28-2008, 10:38 PM
At lowes, you can buy pure NaOH. Its the only ingrediant in the drain cleaner made by roebic. Its called crystal drain cleaner.

tbhavsar
06-29-2008, 09:56 AM
At lowes, you can buy pure NaOH. Its the only ingrediant in the drain cleaner made by roebic. Its called crystal drain cleaner.

Stratous,

Thanks for your reply; I have two questions on your design...

(1) In you design with 2 parallel and 2 series, how does is makes difference (with ref. heat generation & amp usage)? Since the container does not have compartment for each cell. I guess your goal is to improve gas productivity with less heat. Also can you please post your MPG gain or direct me to another post that you may have posted?

(2) Also I would like to know how you made your electrical container water proof; I got one from home depot, used the gasket that came with hit to try out.... but the water leaks.

Thanks

Stratous
06-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Stratous,

Thanks for your reply; I have two questions on your design...

(1) In you design with 2 parallel and 2 series, how does is makes difference (with ref. heat generation & amp usage)? Since the container does not have compartment for each cell. I guess your goal is to improve gas productivity with less heat. Also can you please post your MPG gain or direct me to another post that you may have posted?

(2) Also I would like to know how you made your electrical container water proof; I got one from home depot, used the gasket that came with hit to try out.... but the water leaks.

Thanks

I went from 17.7 mpg to 24.3 mpg on my dodge diesel truck. Originally I had no problems with the container, but later as heat took its effect I had to make modifications to the lid. See this thread. http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=40
The only reason I used the 2 Parallel, 2 series design is because of production. It produces alot of hho, but it gets hot quickly. I have to cool it down with a water pump and 20' of hose. Eventually, I will build 4 seperate containers and wire them in the same way. It should work just about as good as my current configuration. The only other thing I did to the lid of my electrical box thats not shown, is I purchased some weather strip from advanced auto. It is sticky on one side and is abou 1/4" thick. It works well and keeps the box sealed.

tbhavsar
06-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I went from 17.7 mpg to 24.3 mpg on my dodge diesel truck. Originally I had no problems with the container, but later as heat took its effect I had to make modifications to the lid. See this thread. http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=40
The only reason I used the 2 Parallel, 2 series design is because of production. It produces alot of hho, but it gets hot quickly. I have to cool it down with a water pump and 20' of hose. Eventually, I will build 4 seperate containers and wire them in the same way. It should work just about as good as my current configuration. The only other thing I did to the lid of my electrical box thats not shown, is I purchased some weather strip from advanced auto. It is sticky on one side and is abou 1/4" thick. It works well and keeps the box sealed.

Thanks Statous, I appreciate your prompt reply. I am planning to make few cells in series to bring down heat/amp usage.

Ronjinsan
06-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Hi are you planning to run this cell on a vacuum? Oh And are the 2 connecting rods copper?

tbhavsar
06-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi are you planning to run this cell on a vacuum? Oh And are the 2 connecting rods copper?

Ron,

Thanks for your post;

No they are 1/4" brass rods; when I first started the cell, it started to turn water to blue color. Now I have electric tape on bare area of the rod. I think I should have used steel rod but initially thought of having good conductor for the rod. Does it make diff? May be small, I do not know...

Vacuum, No sure… still wondering. I am not sure where I can connect in my Honda Accord. I can understand little-bit auto stuff but can not mess around too much. Can you direct me to any post that has vacuum hose connection? I would like to explore the possibilities.

Ronjinsan
06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi
Generally speaking everything that goes in the cell should be either Stainless steel or plastic/rubber for spacers etc. I guarantee you will have problems with mixed metals! The vacuum connection is normally made by using a 'T' piece in the pipe to the brake booster. The reason I asked you was that i dont think your lid will stand the vacuum!

tbhavsar
06-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi
Generally speaking everything that goes in the cell should be either Stainless steel or plastic/rubber for spacers etc. I guarantee you will have problems with mixed metals! The vacuum connection is normally made by using a 'T' piece in the pipe to the brake booster. The reason I asked you was that i dont think your lid will stand the vacuum!

Thanks Ron for your prompt reply. Ok, I got it; I will change to Steel Rods for now; hardware stores around my area do not sell SS Rods.

For the vacuum line, the Kitchen glass Jar/container & lid I am using is for experiment only….can you please tell me the container material for the cell and hoses you used to handle high-pressure from vacuum line? I am planning use 3” PVC (10" height)pipe for the Cell and 2” PVC (8" Height)for the bubbler.

FYI –I will be connecting six cells in series; planning to mount inside trunk and run a long hose under the frame. Please throw some lights on this arrangement/design I planned. Also, Is it safe to connect thru Vacuum line that is being used for Break Booster I have no idea, how does it works or what does it do in the car….