PDA

View Full Version : Problems caused by HHO

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I would like to hear from everyone who has had a problem caused by HHO (i.e. burnt pistons & valves or flsh backs) so that all of us could learn on how to prevent costly damage and personal injury! Thanks in advance for all your input.

mytoyotasucks
10-24-2008, 08:16 PM
iv'e had a bottle i was using to test LMP, blow up.

dont put a flame to it.

Painless
10-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I had problems removing a large brown stain from my living room carpet after I lit some foam left over in my reservoir and scared my wifes dog.

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Has anyone burnt a piston or valve with too much HHO or leaning the motor too much?

hg2
10-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Has anyone burnt a piston or valve with too much HHO or leaning the motor too much?

My system's been installed for over a year and 35,000 miles,and the only thing that's happened is better mpg.The truck still uses only a 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes the same as before hho.I don't have any pitting of the throttle body nor the intake.My cell is installed 6 feet from the intake with 2 bubblers along the way to insure nothing but hho ever reaches my motor.
The main problem people have that end up with motor damage were just plain careless,or in too much hurry to build it and slap it on without thinking it through and most didn't take enough time to read and learn.

Boltazar
10-25-2008, 12:10 AM
I like the dog scare story best. You Win You should have told us more about the bottle exploding

mytoyotasucks
10-25-2008, 02:59 AM
I like the dog scare story best. You Win You should have told us more about the bottle exploding

OK, I was testing my LPM with a bottle with a screw on cap (i picked up from a store) that has markings of 100 ml to 1 L in 100 ml increments.

And after having done the LPM test, thought it would be neat to see a flame come out of the top of the bottle (with cap on and only a 1/2" hole in the top), so i put a long tip lighter to the hole, but no flame just a BANG! :eek:

Stunned me, bottle was in so many pieces (still haven't found them all), lost my hearing in my left ear for almost two days (and still sounds like a tin can in my left ear), and had some cuts om by stomach. But other than that I was OK. :rolleyes:

JonDoh
10-25-2008, 03:11 AM
^^^^ Cuts on the stomache?!?! OUCH!?! Thank God that's all that happened!

hg2
10-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Ok, There was a small incident last year with a 15 gallon trash bag filled with hho.I hope the neighborhood cats are done with therapy by now

Boltazar
10-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Painless he's got cha beat. Its all in the degree of not thinking

protecheqp
10-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Hahahahahaha some one forget to tell you guys be carefull and its not a toy

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-25-2008, 02:37 PM
This is good stuff. It will help people relize how serious HHO could be and what not to do to prevent injury or damage. I took a small gatorade bottle with gas and capped it, tied a rag around it and set it on fire and stepped wat back. When it finaly burned through the bottle it sounded like a shot gun blast. I'd still like to here more on any vehicle damage. Any takers?

Riddler250
10-26-2008, 12:14 AM
This is good stuff. It will help people relize how serious HHO could be and what not to do to prevent injury or damage. I took a small gatorade bottle with gas and capped it, tied a rag around it and set it on fire and stepped wat back. When it finaly burned through the bottle it sounded like a shot gun blast. I'd still like to here more on any vehicle damage. Any takers?

no veh damage yet. but we were working on that and my water vapor, my buddy reached down into the bucket of hho and lit it with a small bic. BOOM. scared the crud out of him. Not playing around anymore, this stuff can be very dangerous, be careful

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I heard of a guy on another forum that melted his spark plugs. I would like to get the best MPG gain with out altering any sensors. I just don't think motors were designed to run any leaner than all the manufactures shoot for.

mytoyotasucks
10-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I heard of a guy on another forum that melted his spark plugs. I would like to get the best MPG gain with out altering any sensors. I just don't think motors were designed to run any leaner than all the manufactures shoot for.

OK ur looking at it the wrong way.

the idea to alter sensors is to compensate for the extra O2 that is put in the exaust.

the O2 sensor reads to much O2 and thinks its running lean so it adds fuel to compensate :eek: , all u want to do is make the puter think right.
:rolleyes:

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Yes but being that HHO burns 3x hotter than gas wouldn't you need a richer mixture to compensate?

mytoyotasucks
10-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes but being that HHO burns 3x hotter than gas wouldn't you need a richer mixture to compensate?

yes and no - u are still mixing with gas so heat will not go up much by itself.

Roland Jacques
10-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Yes the burn should be hotter but it also faster. The idea is the faster burn mean less heat transfer. So the speed of the burn is supose to more than offsets the heat from the hotter burn.

The goal of using HHO is to be get away from using Extra fuel to cool. this is one reason why we can lean it out.

PS. I think the guys spark plug's electrodes MAY have "burnt off" because maybe some electrolyte from his generator was getting into his cylinders. (just a guess)

IronBear
10-31-2008, 09:50 AM
http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=1521

So far the only damage I have manged is to myself while building the cell..;)

PS. Dont click this if you are squeemish about blood...
http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-1475-1221097186.jpg

Dave Nowlin
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I think the burned pistons and other similar problems are caused by folks leaning their engines out to much when running HHO.

Dave Nowlin

Randohr
12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
When I first learned of HHO I stood over a plastic jar encased generator and bubbler. I pulled the small tube out of the bubbler (folgers can w/ water) and commenced to try to light it as I pinched off the tube so I didn't lose any gas(picture; building pressure as my junk lighter try's to light). I thought it was a hoax and also thought that I might be just boiling the water a little bit. Well...I was officially educated. It was a good thing it was a plastic jar. It was an amazing thing to live thru. I was only bleeding a little bit and the swelling on my neck and forehead went down in a couple days. I then proceeded to pick up what was left of my very first generator (I miss that thing, sniff...) from a radius of over 15 yards. From that day on, I was officially hooked. I KNEW this was the real deal!!! That was about 7 months ago and now, three running HHO hybrids later, all is good.