PDA

View Full Version : O2 Extenders - 2002 Liberty - Check engine light

patricke123
10-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I am having trouble with the check engine light coming on in a 2002 Jeep Liberty after installing O2 extenders. Light came on after about 100 miles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make the correct modifications to the computer without the check engine coming on? I used the O2 extenders because it was a simple and inexpensive solution and it seemed to work pretty well on my Windstar.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Patrick

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Try disconnecting your batery for a minute. Your computer may need to relearn itself.

patricke123
10-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks - how many times would I have to disconnect the battery for the computer to re-learn itself - any other suggestions, tricks or advice???

Patrick

HiTechRedNeck73
10-26-2008, 12:16 PM
just once... it will clear the memory and reset the stored enviroment data... did you do it once before?

actually even easier then disconnecting the battery, on your jeep, just open the fuse box under the hood and locate the fuse for the PCM (powertrain control module)... pull that fuse out, put the key in the ignition and turn key to run but not start, wait 30secs, turn key off and re-install fuse... now it's reset... the learning mode will be over in about 200mi...

this is the process for Chrysler-made vehicles. I don't know if it work for anyone else... when you disconnect the battery, different ECUs from different manufacturers take different amounts of time to discharge all the remaining power in the ECU... you are killing the power long enough to allow the volatile memory to erase (due to loss of power)... if you don't wait long enough, the memory will not be empty...

patricke123
10-26-2008, 03:16 PM
just once... it will clear the memory and reset the stored enviroment data... did you do it once before?

No - i just un-screwed the sensors - and installed the non-foulers - but never reset the computer - after a 100 mile the check engine light came on. Should I have reset the computer right away after I installed the non-foulers?

HiTechRedNeck73
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
No - i just un-screwed the sensors - and installed the non-foulers - but never reset the computer - after a 100 mile the check engine light came on. Should I have reset the computer right away after I installed the non-foulers?

yes, anytime there is a change with emissions (enviroment) you should reset the computer so it will get used to the new settings/equipment...

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM

If you are use non foulers make sure you have drilled the I.D. out to 1/2"

hg2
10-27-2008, 07:44 AM
If you are use non foulers make sure you have drilled the I.D. out to 1/2"

9/16" is the proper size for drilling out non-foulers. 1/2" is too narrow and will set codes often. Just not enogh flow to the sensor using 1/2".

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 11:19 AM
9/16" is the proper size for drilling out non-foulers. 1/2" is too narrow and will set codes often. Just not enogh flow to the sensor using 1/2".

This is good to know thanks for the input. Would you know the pitch of a non fouler I think the diameter is 18mm.

hg2
10-27-2008, 01:11 PM
This is good to know thanks for the input. Would you know the pitch of a non fouler I think the diameter is 18mm.

Most O2s I've seen are 18mm.

mactheheeler
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I am having trouble with the check engine light coming on in a 2002 Jeep Liberty after installing O2 extenders. Light came on after about 100 miles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make the correct modifications to the computer without the check engine coming on? I used the O2 extenders because it was a simple and inexpensive solution and it seemed to work pretty well on my Windstar.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Patrick
I had the same problem in my Ford F150 4.2. The light came on because there was a temp. sensing delay. I just wrapped foil around it several times to keep the temp. up and my light stayed off.

patricke123
10-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi - thanks everyone for your input and help!!!! I reset the check engine light, but did not drill out the non-foulers and the engine light came back on - after the engine light came on the idle of the car was effected and it was frequently stalling when the hho system was turned on, but runs fine when the hho system is off. So now I am going to drill out the non-foulers and re-install and re-set the computer again. Should this solve the problem???

What would cause the car to stall when the system is on and run fine when off? Does this have to do with the check engine light???

Also, what part of the O2 sensor do you wrap with aluminum foil? Has anyone else done this with success?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Patrick

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi - thanks everyone for your input and help!!!! I reset the check engine light, but did not drill out the non-foulers and the engine light came back on - after the engine light came on the idle of the car was effected and it was frequently stalling when the hho system was turned on, but runs fine when the hho system is off. So now I am going to drill out the non-foulers and re-install and re-set the computer again. Should this solve the problem???

What would cause the car to stall when the system is on and run fine when off? Does this have to do with the check engine light???

Also, what part of the O2 sensor do you wrap with aluminum foil? Has anyone else done this with success?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Patrick

It may stall if it's too rich or lean. Let me know if drilling it out to 9/16" works. You would cover whatever part or the o2 ensor that is sticking out of the exauhst pipe minus the wires.

patricke123
10-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks - I installed the drilled out non-foulers tonight. The check engine was gone on and off - sometimes it would be on and other it would be off. I hope the drilled out non-foulers will work. Does the computer need to re-adjust to the hho and the non-foulers. Could that be what was happening?

Patrick

mactheheeler
10-31-2008, 05:02 PM
I can only speak from my experience since I am new to this, but this is how I did it.
It's my understanding that whenever you introduce something new to your vehicles computer it has to learn to adjust to what you have done. I have had all of the problems you've described and more. Try unhooking the pos. battery cable for roughly 30 minutes, reconnect it and start the vehicle letting it and your HHO cells warm up then drive around normally for a while letting the cars computer adjust itself to your system and adjustments. Trust me when I tell you I'm no rocket scientist but this has worked for me.
Seeing as how we've had the same problems your vehicle should run better w/the antifoulers drilled out.

patricke123
10-31-2008, 08:51 PM
The check engine light is staying off but the car is still having problems keeping an idle and stalling. Any suggestions? Does it just have to re-learn things?

Patrick

HiTechRedNeck73
11-01-2008, 05:38 AM
the computer can take hundreds of miles to get used to the new settings. it depends on how often you drive it and how far. when I know that I need to reset the computer, I try to plan a 200-300mi trip, reset before I leave and it is pretty much good to go by the time I get back. if we are talking about a daily driver that sees stop and go traffic every morning and is mostly idle or low gears... the computer is not likely to "get comfortable" any time soon. try to use the method I mention...

another thing to keep in mind, the computer is looking for consistantcy. if your part of the world is cold in the morning and warm to hot in the afternoon, eviroment may play a part in computer adaptation as well... type to keep enviroment as consistant as possible while you are getting to the computer through it's learning process...

mactheheeler
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Are you using a MAF sensor enhancer?

patricke123
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
No MAP/MAF enhancer - the Jeep is still having problems holding an idle and still has check engine light even after drilling out the non-foulers

mactheheeler
11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
No MAP/MAF enhancer - the Jeep is still having problems holding an idle and still has check engine light even after drilling out the non-foulers
Have you had your codes read? If not go to autozone, they will do it for free.
After I had mine read the first time it said temp. sensing delay, the next time they were read it was fuel mixture was too lean.

Painless
11-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Have you had your codes read? If not go to autozone, they will do it for free.
After I had mine read the first time it said temp. sensing delay, the next time they were read it was fuel mixture was too lean.

Use the key shuffle (on Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep vehicles) to get the codes. Start with the key out, then insert it and go 'Run' -> 'Off' -> 'Run' -> 'Off' -> 'Run' (don't hit the starter) within 5 seconds and the codes will appear in the odometer display.