PDA

View Full Version : Multiple cells in series

gidrew
06-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I built a cell for my truck ( 5.6L Titan) and I built another one with my neighbour for his toyota sequoia. He just went on a road trip and found he was normally getting 16mpgs highway. When he left with this cell installed he got a boost to 20-22mpgs. Nice little gain. He also found the higher in elevation he went(from florida with a 200 foot high spot) to PA ( closer to 1500 feet) he found he needed more NaOH to acheve the same amp draw. The cell we are working with pulls about 25 amps but I installed a live well pump to circulate water to the front of the vehicle and it helps keep it nice and cool (if anyone is having an overheating problem and would like me to post some pics of the setup, i will) So with all that said, my titan didnt see any boost in mpgs. And I was even doing more highway with it. It looked like It was getting better mpgs for the first half of the tank, but then when I filled it from empty I found I got 14.01 from my average 13.5-13.9. I do mostly city driving, not really much highway, so I really need to bring up my 13.5 mpgs to something more efficient. I am thinking of building smaller cells in series. Currently I have +nn-nn+nn-nn+ with an output of around .8 -1L/min. Normally thats ok, but I was looking around and found someone who put cells in series, it lowered his amp draw, while keeping his production up. Since I have a cooling system, I dont mind if I have 25 amps pulling, but if I can bring the amps down with multiple cells, boost the NaOH a little to bring amps up a little for more production, that would be ideal. Since I have a truck I am going to put the bigger cell in the bed instead of under the hood(due to little room) I am not running a PWM, and I dont really plan on putting one on. I would rather run it with constant power. I also do not have anything else done to o2 sensors or MAF sensor. Just injecting hydroxy into airbox on clean side of filter. Any thought or suggestions or brainstorming, bring it on.

Phantom240
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
If you're going to make a unit for the bed, make it a big one!

But in all seriousness, the more water/electrolite your unit can hold, the less often you have to refill it, and the more consistent your output will be.

gidrew
06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
If you're going to make a unit for the bed, make it a big one!

But in all seriousness, the more water/electrolite your unit can hold, the less often you have to refill it, and the more consistent your output will be.
I hold about 1/2 gal now in my setup with the water in the cooling lines, and I only had to top it off after it ran for 2 days, maybe 2 hrs/day. I topped it off and haven't had to do it again since. My thought is the bigger the water tank, the less often it would need to be changed to replenish the solution. But I havent been running one for long enough to have to change the water.

rmptr
06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
From what I understand, your ECM is doing it's job quite well and defeating the lean condition it perceives.
Tweak that O2 sensor and you should see good results.
Best

gidrew
06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
I went over to advance auto to get them to hook up a scan tool to it so I could see how the computer was responding and how much it was leaning or ritching the gas. I think I will put an extender on the O2 and see how that responds.
Thx

lossing80
07-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I also have a Titan Im doing all my homework before installing one on it. I hope you get some results from the 02 extender. What system do you curently use for production?

gidrew
07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I have a 13 plate setup with SS Wall switch covers. +nn-nn+nn-nn+ IN A 4" PVC pipe with a live well pump to cirulate the water for cooling. It pulls around 25 amps and produces at last test abour .8 - 1L/min I am goin got make a bigger multicell for higher production. Since most of my driving is in the city, I think that 2-3L/min is what I'm going to need before I see gains due to the fact I'm also carrying abour 1/2ton in the truck in tools. So I am going to start building a multicell very soon so I can get it in the truck.

rmptr
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I went over to advance auto to get them to hook up a scan tool to it so I could see how the computer was responding and how much it was leaning or ritching the gas. I think I will put an extender on the O2 and see how that responds.
Thx

Would you post the results of the scan, with, and without the HHO?

Thank you