PDA

View Full Version : Steel wool as an electrode

JonDoh
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Has anybody experimented with steel wool???

My friend uses steel wool wire tied onto a SS rod thru the center of a water filter then wrapped with a SS tubing. It produces a massive amount of HHO gas using Lye.

My issues are the longetivity & maintenance of the steel wool.

Please let me know info, links or feedbacks from other experimenters.... THX

HHOinKY
11-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I would think it would rust way too fast. Steel wool rusts pretty easy.

JonDoh
11-02-2008, 01:45 PM
^^^ That's what I figured

hydrotinkerer
11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
You could use a ss pot scrubber and do the same thing. Then see how long it last and production rates.

JonDoh
11-02-2008, 03:14 PM
^^^ That's what he uses is a SS pot scubber wool whatever....

I don't think it last that long.... I'm looking for documents or info or video of anybody experimenting with the stuff and the negative results from using it.

Hans H
12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, remember to take a magnet into the store with you. Any iron content at all would probably be bad for the normal electrolytes. On the other hand I did see ss wool on ebay... might be worth a google/gamble.
I was getting all excited at the low cost cell possibilities, till a senior member in one of the forums said that you want to limit the flow of current (thru the electrolyte) in an open bath cell. A guy on ebay was making very big brags about his stainless steel wool cells though. I'd look into it. Stainless foil also (2 mil seems to be about right for a tight roll)

Super Fuel FX
12-01-2008, 09:48 PM
For as much experimenting as Painless goes through, I'd send him a box or two. Guarantee you get kick ass testing too!

hg2
12-08-2008, 08:25 AM
You could use a ss pot scrubber and do the same thing. Then see how long it last and production rates.

Here's a link to buy stainless steel wool.It doesn't say what grade it is.

http://www.briwax-online.com/sswool.html

Dr. Jerryrigger
02-18-2009, 05:16 AM
Standard steel wool would turn to rust in seconds, but a good SS should last for some time. W/SS wool you will get a lot of surface and could produce a lot of HHO in a small space, but it has some draw backs to plates. It is imposible to have your cathode and anode spaced as well as w/plates. If you get them close you risk shorts. The wool closer to the other wool will produce more than the wool further in. This is not to say that it's not worth playing around with, by all means give it a try and let us know what you find out. Just make sure you get a good aloy for electrolysis.

protecheqp
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I tried it and right off as mentioned above its impossible to space properly now while you do get hho production it is less than 20% of what you get with plates.This was my observation just to hard to control and not worry about a short

I did not spend a lot of time with it as I figured it too time intensive for the results. I tried pancaking the pads in a +-+- with plastic film dividers then a donut configuration with a s/s pipe core and plastic film, Why the plastic film because the s/s pads like to expand and go where they want.

all in all its still fun to try things. I also tried those s/s cup cells 12 in total tied together with a 3/8 plastic rod and with a spacing of about .040 - .060 on the walls that was fun as the cups I got varied in size with all sorts of configuration +nn-+nn-+nn- and +nnnn-nnnn+- -nnnnn+nnnn- +-+-+-+-+-+- ( have picture of it )

Bottom line you cant beat plates for control and production , but i will try any thing , next is a 3 layer .022 spiral continuous 24 inch long coil +n- but I got to make a winder first.and figure out a good spacing method.

Kids have so much fun

Sweden
03-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Why don't use "fat filters" in SS??....see pic....

rboos
01-26-2010, 03:17 PM
When I tried to use SS mesh it got eaten up in less than an hour, unfortunatelly. But nice bubbles!

Owen_
02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
This had come up before, on several pages. It is something that i thought of too, but there are many complications with it that make it not worthwhile. First off we are talking about SS wool, non SS will rust really fast in just water, add HHO (well just the O) and you have brown electrolyte and no electrode.
Assuming you find some wool of a good alloy for HHO:

1) You have lots of surface, which is good
2) You have a mess of fibers which is hard to work with, add gas and they move around a little, and it's hard to keep them from shorting out, which is bad.
3) To get the voltage drop in a reasonable range you will need to make seven or eight tanks for these, which take up a lot of space, which is bad.
4) It is impossible to have a consistent gap between electrodes, as your using a mass of fibers. This will make a multiple gap cell of any size not work so well, which is bad.
5) The gap will need to be lager to keep it from shorting out, which will add resistance, which is bad.

If you can think up a way to deal with these 4 problems then go for it, and i'd love to help in the design end of thing, but unless your starting with a 2V DC power supply your going to run into a lot of problems, and even then you'd be better off with a SS plate cell (unless you have some nifty tricks up your sleeve).

rocky62
03-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Why couldn't you put the mesh in between two solid plates to control it, on the + a- and also the n plates. It would make the plates thicker but you could use less plates. I might try that!