PDA

View Full Version : Copper or Stainless?

volomike
06-29-2008, 10:48 PM
George (father-in-law) and I are using an electrolyzer configuration from the Power Tube Kit you can see on YouTube. We have the electrode as stainless carriage bolt with stainless fender washers separated by stainless lock washers, but we are currently using aluminum as the metal wrapped around this config (separated by a gap).

We've been advised to swap the aluminum with stainless steel. So, we wanted to ask, which is better -- copper or stainless as the tube that wraps around the electrode?

Stratous
06-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Stainless is better as it is much more resistant to corrosion and oxidation. Also, it is not good to use different metals together. Corrosion can be caused simply by dissimilar metals. Here is a list of metals that can cause corrosion to each other. http://www.galvanizeit.org/showContent,173,215.cfm I am not saying it wont or cant work, just that it could have undesirable effects. If i am correct, the copper will corrode while the SS will not. Also, since copper is very soft, the use of NaOH or KOH may destroy the copper. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to try.

volomike
06-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks for spending time on that answer. I'll talk to George (geonjim in these forums).

Ronjinsan
06-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Mike
Toss out any metal that isnt SS, I promise you will save yourselves a lot of trouble, you will only be covering ground thats been done by others a hundred times over only to find that it doesnt work well to mix metals inside the cell! All the best

volomike
06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, Ronjinsan, I've come to agree with you here.