PDA

View Full Version : Acetone

solo33
11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
This may not belong here, but I believe it should be told. Two days ago after sutible preparation, I went to my favorite station and poured 2 oz of 100 % pure Acetone, then filled up my tank with regular. Reseting my trip odometer to zero, I hopped on the freeway and drove about 54 miles south, I then drove 54 miles back to the same station and refilled my tank. Well, hoping for a nice increase in milage, as I have been reading about, I found the 108 miles took 3.24 gals. Thats about 33.3 miles per gal and that sounds great, except my 2006 Scion XB with the 1.5 liter engine got exectly that before before I added the Acetone. I'm wondering if the milage increases posted by others are on cars with poor milage cursed by carburators, cars that werent really factory setup for good milage, where-as my XP with the little engine is sucking out the best milage I'm going to get unless I go to an added fuel, such as HHO. Then, I'll still be getting the same milage per unit of energy, but since the energy unit will be divided between the 2 fuels, my gas dollar will shrink per mile. Anyway, I've vented my spleen on this subject, any comments would be welcomed.:confused:

Atechguy
11-08-2008, 10:45 AM
How many gallons of gas did you fill up with??, it should be about 2.5 to 3 oz. /10 gallons.

Carolinablue
11-08-2008, 08:40 PM
This may not belong here, but I believe it should be told. Two days ago after sutible preparation, I went to my favorite station and poured 2 oz of 100 % pure Acetone, then filled up my tank with regular. Reseting my trip odometer to zero, I hopped on the freeway and drove about 54 miles south, I then drove 54 miles back to the same station and refilled my tank. Well, hoping for a nice increase in milage, as I have been reading about, I found the 108 miles took 3.24 gals. Thats about 33.3 miles per gal and that sounds great, except my 2006 Scion XB with the 1.5 liter engine got exectly that before before I added the Acetone. I'm wondering if the milage increases posted by others are on cars with poor milage cursed by carburators, cars that werent really factory setup for good milage, where-as my XP with the little engine is sucking out the best milage I'm going to get unless I go to an added fuel, such as HHO. Then, I'll still be getting the same milage per unit of energy, but since the energy unit will be divided between the 2 fuels, my gas dollar will shrink per mile. Anyway, I've vented my spleen on this subject, any comments would be welcomed.:confused:

Where did you pick up your 100 per cent Acetone?

Super Fuel FX
11-09-2008, 03:08 PM
I regularly use pure acetone in my gas, and have seen a 25%+ increase in my gas mileage. I have a 2001 F 150, and found that this only works for highway use. For some reason, it doesn't work well in the city. You should use 2 - 3 oz per 10 gallons, as Atechguy previously stated. Also, you should run it for over 50 miles, before you start charting your mileage. It seems that it takes a bit of time to get going in the system. I purchase my acetone from Menards - 1 gallon metal can for about $12.00. I have also purchased it from Wal-Mart, and a local Beauty Supply store. Wherever you buy it, make sure that it is 100% pure. The other acetone is mixed with water - something that isn't wanted in the engine in this instance.

HALS-GUNSMITHING
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I'd be concerned that the acetone would melt thru the rubber fill tube.

Boltazar
11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I've used 3 oz of acetone, 3 oz of xylene and 3 oz of diesel fuel per 20 gal gas and have a 3-5 mpg increase in mileage

Super Fuel FX
11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
The rubber that is used in the Automotive Industry will not degrade with the use of Acetone (a petroleum based product, btw). I worked at a dealership and took many bad parts, cut them open/apart, and soaked them in high (over 25% up to 100%) concentrations of acetone to see the effects it has. The most negligible swelling was noticed, but only at levels above 75%, and they were all within automotive specifications. I would be a bit concerned with older cars, as they don't use the vitrine (sp) rubber that is used in the newer cars today. This is a known problem with older diesel (Mercedes Class especially) cars and trucks that are converted to run bio (the methanol eats the rubber and gaskets up). The only parts that I have not tested are tires (duh) and valve cover gaskets (they don't come in contact with it). I'm sure there are more that I have not tested, but you get the gist of my experimentation.

HALS-GUNSMITHING
11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
It probably wouldn't hurt to dilute the acetone with 5 galons of gas and pour the whole 5 galons in the tank.

DrBrown
11-10-2008, 10:58 PM
The best way to get it to mix proplerly would be to put some gas in a jug and shake it up with the fuel to mix. But then again I'm not doing that at the gas station heh. I would try upping the % of acetone to gas ratio and see how that works. It would be interesting to do a o2 sensor voltage test. Drive the car as usual and see how the o2 responds and then see the voltage when using acetone in the fuel. I would try to run the whole tank before I made any judgements.

HALS-GUNSMITHING
11-11-2008, 02:24 AM
Would anyone with a scangauge or simmilar know if their is an addative that makes the o2 sensor read richer to use inplace of an efie (i.e. deisel fuel, kerosene, acetone)?

Super Fuel FX
11-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Upping the ratio above 3oz/10gal will actually cause your gas mileage to decrease. Don't know the specifics, but tried it and found it to be true. Also, as a word of caution, it is not recommended to use this in diesel fuel as it absconds (sp) water and takes it past the water collector and right into the engine, where water can cause so much more damage there than in a gas engine. Water doesn't compress like diesel fuel does.

Realtyroy
12-04-2008, 03:36 AM
I run acetone and xylene and full synthetic oil in mine and I see about 3mpg increase. That's 3ozs of acetone and 3ozs of xylene and 2ozs of full synthetic 5w-30 motor oil per every 10 gallons.
It did take a couple of tanks before I noticed the increase in mpg's.