PDA

View Full Version : Ideal plate size vs. amperage

spycarrussell
11-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Based on experience by members of this forum, please point me in the right direction regarding the plate surface area ideal. I've read recommendations ranging from .5 square inch per amp to 2-4 square inches per amp as the ideal sizing rule. Which is it?

I'm not working on a automotive application but one to increase the efficiency of my oil-fired boiler, and will probably rectify and step-down my houshold current to 48VDC. I'm planning to make a dry 24 cell (oversized) generator.

As anyone with oil heat can attest, this stuff is really sooty, as well as expensive (less so now that the price of oil has dropped by half). I think this is a perfect application of hydroxy generation.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Zymosan
11-12-2008, 12:26 AM
I've read the .5amps per sq. inch thing and that just doesn't seem right. I have roughly 500 sq. inches of surface.
So that means I'd need 250 amps to be "efficient"? :eek:
haha, hope that's not true!

spycarrussell
11-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Zymosan,
Let me be more specific. I'm talking about the surface area of each plate receiving approximately 2 volts, NOT the sum of the surface area of ALL plates combined.

Super Fuel FX
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Spy, have you looked into biodiesel as a supplement to your heating oil? My father in law adjusted the injectors to compensate for the oil, and he has reduced his oil use by 20%. He's extremely happy that I pointed him in this direction.:)

spycarrussell
11-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Spy, have you looked into biodiesel as a supplement to your heating oil? My father in law adjusted the injectors to compensate for the oil, and he has reduced his oil use by 20%. He's extremely happy that I pointed him in this direction.:)

This wouldn't be a practical direction for me, which is precisely why hho seems perfect. My goal is to clean up the soot which eventually clogs ALL oil-burning appliances, and reduce oil consumption up to 50% if possible. Factoring back in the cost of power for the generator, I think an overall savings of 20% would be quite conservative. I hope to see over 30%, PLUS no more arduous boiler cleaning. Yea!

Super Fuel FX
11-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Sounds great. Keep me updated, because if it works for you, I'll take your information and duplicate it for my in-laws.

spycarrussell
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I don’t think there is anything written in stone as there are too many variables to consider in determining the amperage a cell would be capable of.

One of the most important things to consider is the voltage between plates. You need a minimal of 1.5v per plate, but you will not get a lot of production. It seems somewhere between 2 - 2.5v per plate is the sweet spot for higher production without having to worry too much about temperature and or steam.

If you are going to do 24 plates at 48v (2v per plate) I would say a 6x6 would handle 40amp (around 10lpm), an 8x8 would handle 80amp (around 20lpm), and a 12x12 would handle 200amp (around 50lpm). That is using a conservative 5MMW efficiency.

Shane, with your figures, I would be better off with twice the cells and half the amperage. I'd like to stick with 20 gauge wire running from my panel to my boiler room, and this is good for only 20 amps. I'm looking for 10-20 lpm with relatively low operating temps.

Carolinablue
11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Yep, I would think 20ga. wouldn't even begin to carry the amps needed.

spycarrussell
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Yep, I would think 20ga. wouldn't even begin to carry the amps needed.

If I had a brain I'd be dangerous. I meant 12 wire for a 20 amp load.