PDA

View Full Version : Heat

Kwiksilvr
06-30-2008, 09:44 AM
man, I love the idea of this thing, but I keep getting WAY too much heat...

i started out at 15 amps with a 13 plate design -nn+nn-nn+nn-
or if you flip the leads its reversed...

and after about 15 minutes of running i start melting the pvc casing...

i cant keep the heat down, and then it starts to steam up, and I start loosing water which makes the amps go higher..

any ideas on how to get the heat down? i thought having all those neutrals would keep the heat at bay..

Ronjinsan
06-30-2008, 09:51 AM
You are not using the neutrals efficiently and perhaps start with a weaker solution. Change to this...+nnnn-nnnn+ you will see an immediate improvement. Start with a weak solution and build it up slowly! Report back tomorrow Corporal....dismissed! :D

Stratous
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Dang, your build gets hot really fast. Perhaps you have a short or not enough water? You could split those 13 plates into two cells run in series to cut down on voltage. Something just doesnt sound right as 15 minutes to overheat is very fast.

howtomakeitwork
06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
i have had it mentioned to me by several people that there is an isue using the hho system, that you can melt the pistons in your engine.... any thoughts on this?

Stratous
06-30-2008, 11:36 AM
i have had it mentioned to me by several people that there is an isue using the hho system, that you can melt the pistons in your engine.... any thoughts on this?

I have read in other places that if you put to much hydrogen into your engine it could melt your pistons. By too much I think is way more than what we are producing here with our small generators.

liberybell
06-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Does the size of the plates matter in the case of heating and hydrogen production?
I read some where that the ratio of power drawing versus plate size is around 0.5amps/sq.inch (on 316L ss plates)

I have also read that sealing the plate area expose to the electrolyte may also contribute to a more efficient use of the power and therefore a reduction on heat (see attached picture to understand my statement.) There is certain unwanted flow of current when plates are not sealed between each other so only the phase of the plate is expose to the electrolyte. Comments?

Stratous
06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I may be wrong, but for the electron flow, its going to take the least resistant route, IE from plate to plate, not curve through the water .

timetowinarace
06-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I may be wrong, but for the electron flow, its going to take the least resistant route, IE from plate to plate, not curve through the water .

Your not wrong. However there is some loss through the water though minimal if plate gap is minimized.

Isolated plates for a series cell would be optimal but design is more difficult for the lay person and considerations must be made for electrolyte loss between the plates were they are not in an electrolyte 'bath'.

howtomakeitwork
06-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I have read in other places that if you put to much hydrogen into your engine it could melt your pistons. By too much I think is way more than what we are producing here with our small generators.

that makes perfect sense