PDA

View Full Version : Turned off Moderation

admin
11-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I turned off new user moderation to see how it goes now that we have an extensive list of IP ranges from countries which were the main offenders for SPAM.

I hope it does not cause too much spam, we will be dilligent to ban entire country netblocks of origin.

I feel we were missing out on too many good posts from real users using the moderation system, we'll see if I am correct.

Thanks,

Mike

admin
11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, the word got around fast, I guess we'll need a more comprehensive list before we can turn off moderation.

cully
11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
someone........

copy of pm sent to TeknikL but anyone admin that can help please do !!

i hope you can help me as of lately i haven't been able to access the web forum from my home PC
my web browser "cant display web site" that in either IE or fire fox

i know the site is there as i can ping the web site/ ip address

I'm asking if you have blocked my ip Addy range at present my ip is
88.108.1**.*** i am on a dynamic ip address

my isp is pipex.com who is owned by tiscali
my isps ip range is below as taken from www.DNSstuff.com

Information related to '88.108.0.0 - 88.111.255.255'

inetnum: 88.108.0.0 - 88.111.255.255
netname: DSL-TISCALI-UK
descr: Tiscali UK Ltd
descr: Milton Keynes
descr: Dynamic DSL

please it might be easyer if you contact me via
gremlins4u@hotmail.com

thankyou
cully

ps im accsessing the site via my works computer !!

FuzzyTomCat
11-28-2008, 05:31 PM
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
someone........

copy of pm sent to TeknikL but anyone admin that can help please do !!

Hi cully,

We have a few bugs to contend with and you may be the only one hopefully not with access part of getting it sorted out so new members don't have to wait for some time before approval .... and were just about there. This will be with less spammers getting on board so everyone can enjoy the forum better.

Fuzzy
:)

cully
11-29-2008, 05:10 AM
thankyou for the reply and the PM

just be aware that my ip may change quite a bit at the moment as
i am using free web proxy servers to gain access to this site from home

hope you get my situation sorted soon

Cully

screwballl
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
thank you for turning off the moderation... if it wasnt for that whos knows how many more weeks/months it would have been before I was approved to get in here... it took almost a month before I was approved as is...

cully
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
i still cant log in from my home pc ! :(

Painless
12-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Now that moderation is turned off, it still appears that there are several users that still cannot post? Perhaps they were overlooked before the change was made.

One such user is 'Dave Nowlin', please could an admin enable his account for posting.

Thanks!

Russ.

FuzzyTomCat
12-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi screwballl,
The Administration turned the new member moderation back on November 26th as there was still some problems not having all the IP addresses of the spammers and spam bots from certain countries that were trying to activate members and spam the forum. There is one more addition and some ban modifications the administration is finalizing now to get the membership going again.

Thanks for your patience in this matter,
Fuzzy

thank you for turning off the moderation... if it wasnt for that whos knows how many more weeks/months it would have been before I was approved to get in here... it took almost a month before I was approved as is...

FuzzyTomCat
12-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi cully,

I'm fairly sure that the administration has found the problem to your problem not being able to post a general ban for the 88.0.0.0 was put in place. It is being modified to reflect only the series ( 88.0.0.0 thru 88.255.255.255 ) needed to ban the proper countries with problems of Internet enforcement there are lots of ISP's in this range from many countries in Europe not just the UK unfortunately.

ie: Your UK ISP series 88.108.0.0 - 88.111.255.255

I think the administration will be changing this along with some additions this weekend.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

i still cant log in from my home pc ! :(

FuzzyTomCat
12-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi Russ,

The moderation was turned back on November 26th because of a lack of the complete listing of Spammers and Spam Bots that were hitting the forum at about 30 to 40 a day :eek: from around October 10th. We were doing fairly well with some primary bans and when the moderation was turned off we were still getting around 10 a day which was still to many. It seems now were down to about 3 to 5 a day and with some final adjustments and some forum software updates to confuse the Spam Bots we will be in very good shape to turn off the moderation again ... a little spam we can deal with gives us or me something to do.

Thanks again for your support, help and input to the Forum. I will contact the administration about Dave Nowlin and get him going ASAP.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

Now that moderation is turned off, it still appears that there are several users that still cannot post? Perhaps they were overlooked before the change was made.

One such user is 'Dave Nowlin', please could an admin enable his account for posting.

Thanks!

Russ.

cully
12-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi cully,

I'm fairly sure that the administration has found the problem to your problem not being able to post a general ban for the 88.0.0.0 was put in place. It is being modified to reflect only the series ( 88.0.0.0 thru 88.255.255.255 ) needed to ban the proper countries with problems of Internet enforcement there are lots of ISP's in this range from many countries in Europe not just the UK unfortunately.

ie: Your UK ISP series 88.108.0.0 - 88.111.255.255

I think the administration will be changing this along with some additions this weekend.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

thanks for the reply ......
getting fed up with loading a proxy just to see this site :(

admin
12-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I removed 88.0.0.0/8

cully
12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
whoo! thankyou :D