PDA

View Full Version : The Best?

MikeP
03-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I have heard that Lye is one of the best to use, although possibly HAZARDOUS... be careful!

gasmakr
06-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm really likeing the sodium hydroxide it requires less concentration than bakingsoda and it runs cooler too:)

Sparkie
06-11-2008, 05:38 AM
I have heard that Lye is one of the best to use, although possibly HAZARDOUS... be careful!

Lye is Potassium Hydroxide....yes?...because I am waiting on some to arrive next month.

Ronjinsan
06-11-2008, 07:57 AM
No...Lye is Sodium Hydroxide better known as Caustic Soda. Porbly get some at the local hardware, but dont buy drain cleaner it has some other additives in it. Get the pure powder and be careful with it....one grain on your hand will burn you! Keep away from any other living entities!

Stratous
06-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Lye is sodium hydroxide

thebargew
06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
How much would you use?

Stratous
06-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I would start at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.

thebargew
06-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I would start at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Thanks.. Looks like its workin quite well!!:D

Stratous
06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks.. Looks like its workin quite well!!:D

Your welcome

msheppa
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
The best way I have found to measure how much Lye to add is with a multi-meter. Set it to AMPS. With fresh, Distilled Water and a clean system, you should be less than 1 amp before adding anything to it. What ever you decide to use, add very little at first. Mix it in well and check your amps. Between 5 and 8 amps is a good start. As your generator runs, it will work better and the amps will rise. Starting out with 5 to 8 amps, it should not rise above 20 amps. If you get higher than that you run the risk of blowing fuses. Along with the amps you have heat. Amps and heat go hand-in-hand. The more amps, the more heat. For those of you running with PVC pipe or less, be careful. PVC max temp is 140 degrees F. At 20 amps you are running at around 140F.

Omega
08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
The best way I have found to measure how much Lye to add is with a multi-meter. Set it to AMPS. With fresh, Distilled Water and a clean system, you should be less than 1 amp before adding anything to it. What ever you decide to use, add very little at first. Mix it in well and check your amps. Between 5 and 8 amps is a good start. As your generator runs, it will work better and the amps will rise. Starting out with 5 to 8 amps, it should not rise above 20 amps. If you get higher than that you run the risk of blowing fuses. Along with the amps you have heat. Amps and heat go hand-in-hand. The more amps, the more heat. For those of you running with PVC pipe or less, be careful. PVC max temp is 140 degrees F. At 20 amps you are running at around 140F.
Not true in all cases. IF you have a small enclosure and say, a quart or so of water, 20 amps equals boiling water and big trouble. In 5 gallons of water, 20amps will barely get the water warm. It depends on the water volume, design of the cell, number of neutral plates and other factors.

"One size fits all" doesn't apply to amps and temperature of a cell.