PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/map enhancer - works but doesn't enhance the car.

aaron_98_cobra
12-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Hey everyone, I have a 96 Pontiac Gran Pricks w/ 3.1 v6 that I have a HHO generator installed on. I built the HHO system myself and so far everything is working well except for the map enhancer.

I do have it installed on the signal wire and it does cut the voltage down but the car does not show any effect of the less voltage. I can crank it all the way to lean and the car shows nothing. This is a dual map enhancer that I bought over ebay.

I tested the voltage going in the enhancer and it read about 1.3 volts, I think. I'm not too good at remembering these things... When I increased the rpms to about 3000, the voltage dropped down to around 1 volt or little less. Is this right? I know at 3K the car is using more gas, so does a lower voltage mean more gas on this vehicle? If so, then cutting the voltage with this enhancer will defeat my purpose...

I've tried to think this out using plain logic and just can't seem to figure it out. Has anyone had any experience like this? I'm about to fix it for good and rip the enhancer back out.

theramsey3
12-21-2008, 12:50 PM
I would make sure that you are using the right wire for the enhancer if I'm not mistaken you should be looking for a wire that is close to 0 volts at an idle and close to 5 volts when you rev the engine but then again I swore off GM products along time ago so I don't have a definitive answer for you

aaron_98_cobra
12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that's the wire I got but I'm going to go check again first chance I get.

I ran the HHO gen. some and haven't seen any improvement at all. The car runs a little better and it lowers the idle a bit but no mpg gains. I have a O2 extender in the front O2 sensor but not the back one. I was going to put one on the back sensor just to see what it would do but I couldn't get it out... I'm plotting on it though; I just about got it figured out... Although, I really don't think that will help me anyway.

Any suggestions on why I've not seen any improvements? I'm outputting around 1 liter per minute...

mytoyotasucks
12-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that's the wire I got but I'm going to go check again first chance I get.

I ran the HHO gen. some and haven't seen any improvement at all. The car runs a little better and it lowers the idle a bit but no mpg gains. I have a O2 extender in the front O2 sensor but not the back one. I was going to put one on the back sensor just to see what it would do but I couldn't get it out... I'm plotting on it though; I just about got it figured out... Although, I really don't think that will help me anyway.

Any suggestions on why I've not seen any improvements? I'm outputting around 1 liter per minute...

signal wire - did u cut the wire from the map sensor??
gen - where did u hook ur hose to??

aaron_98_cobra
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
signal wire - did u cut the wire from the map sensor??
gen - where did u hook ur hose to??

sorry for the late reply, I've been extremely busy and keep forgetting to check this thing...

Anyway, yes I did cut the signal (varying voltage) wire and ran the wire coming from the map sensor to the red on the enhancer and the wire going to the car's computer to the brown wire on the enhancer.

Regarding the hose question, I put a T in the hose going from the PCV valve to the intake and ran the generator hose into the bottom of the bubbler and then the top of the bubbler to T in PCV hose. Actually, I T'd off before the PCV hose and ran the other hose over to the air box. I put check valves in between the PCV hose T - gen. hose T and between the gen. hose T - air box...

Let me know if you understand this... :confused: I may be able to take another stab at explaining this better.

aaron_98_cobra
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah, and by the way. I do know the car is getting HHO because it drops the idle a bit and has a little more pep. Although, I have not seen any increase in mpg while running with the map enhancer on original setting. I doesn't seem like it does anything anyway...

I have a O2 extender on the front sensor. Could the car's computer still be compensating somehow for that extra O2?

mytoyotasucks
01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Oh yeah, and by the way. I do know the car is getting HHO because it drops the idle a bit and has a little more pep. Although, I have not seen any increase in mpg while running with the map enhancer on original setting. I doesn't seem like it does anything anyway...

I have a O2 extender on the front sensor. Could the car's computer still be compensating somehow for that extra O2?

OK u have installed the wires going to and from the "map" how about the ground wire? the EFIE must be grounded.

and myself found that "Ting" at the PVC hose is not good.

i run to a vacuum line, away from the mapsensor vacuum.

aaron_98_cobra
01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
OK u have installed the wires going to and from the "map" how about the ground wire? the EFIE must be grounded.

and myself found that "Ting" at the PVC hose is not good.

i run to a vacuum line, away from the mapsensor vacuum.

Yes, the enhancer is grounded. I got a good spot underneath the dash where I also grounded the input side of PWM.

Where do you normally grab a vacuum line? On this Pontiac, there is a shortage of good vacuum lines. The reason I liked the PVC line is that it was the right size for my T's and gen. hose.

Is there any way the car could still be adding more gas when the gen. is on? I can't think of any reasons it would do this but if it is, that could be why the map enhancer can't make the engine stumble...

mytoyotasucks
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes, the enhancer is grounded. I got a good spot underneath the dash where I also grounded the input side of PWM.

Where do you normally grab a vacuum line? On this Pontiac, there is a shortage of good vacuum lines. The reason I liked the PVC line is that it was the right size for my T's and gen. hose.

Is there any way the car could still be adding more gas when the gen. is on? I can't think of any reasons it would do this but if it is, that could be why the map enhancer can't make the engine stumble...

The map enhancer should be capable of stalling a car no matter how much fuel is being added. - and if u ahave a meter that can read low volts - test how much voltage is comming from the map sensor and than out of the enhancer and than turn the dial to see if it changes the voltage.

and yes the O2 sensor can add fuel - remember u are adding HHO thats two hydrogen and one oxygen and the O2 sensor senses the extra O.:eek:

What size is your pcv hose?

aaron_98_cobra
01-08-2009, 12:57 AM
The map enhancer should be capable of stalling a car no matter how much fuel is being added. - and if u ahave a meter that can read low volts - test how much voltage is comming from the map sensor and than out of the enhancer and than turn the dial to see if it changes the voltage.

and yes the O2 sensor can add fuel - remember u are adding HHO thats two hydrogen and one oxygen and the O2 sensor senses the extra O.:eek:

What size is your pcv hose?

I'll have to test the map enhancer later although I may get to it tomorrow... My gen. hose is the thick braided clear hose and it is 3/8" and I have 3/8" T's. The gen. hose fits right onto my PCV valve and a 3/8" T fits well into the rubber elbow that was originally on the PCV valve.

Everything fit well together and I didn't have to cut or modify anything where it could be put back to original if needed. Why is the PCV line not a good place to inject HHO?

mytoyotasucks
01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I'll have to test the map enhancer later although I may get to it tomorrow... My gen. hose is the thick braided clear hose and it is 3/8" and I have 3/8" T's. The gen. hose fits right onto my PCV valve and a 3/8" T fits well into the rubber elbow that was originally on the PCV valve.

Everything fit well together and I didn't have to cut or modify anything where it could be put back to original if needed. Why is the PCV line not a good place to inject HHO?

IF u get too much vacuum from the PCV line it can suck water right out of the bubbler. - had it happen.

aaron_98_cobra
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
IF u get too much vacuum from the PCV line it can suck water right out of the bubbler. - had it happen.

I just checked and that must be why there is no water in the bubbler... :D

aaron_98_cobra
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I just checked and that must be why there is no water in the bubbler... :D

Ok, in addition to no water in the bubbler, there is no water in the generator anymore... :eek: Upon inspection, there is a crack in the bottom of the box. (I'm using one of those 6 x 6 x 4 inch pvc boxes.) I guess the water froze and cracked the box. I don't guess the too much vacuum did this? I wouldn't think so.

Anyway, how should I keep the water from freezing next time?

And, I checked voltage going in the map enhancer and at idle it was about 1.5V. I flipped the switch over to enhanced and cranked the knob all the way lean and it dropped the voltage down to .5V but car doesn't respond.

While I had the voltage meter hooked up, I was seeing what increasing the rpm did to the voltage and when I stepped on the gas (as engine loses vacuum) the voltage jump up somewhat. Once the engine built up vacuum again at that increase rpm (which should be a greater vacuum than at idle), the voltage going into the enhancer was slightly lower.

So, since a higher rpm takes more gas and that higher rpm has less voltage than a lower rpm, wouldn't cutting the voltage with this enhancer actually give the engine more gas? :confused: Let me know if all this makes sense to you...

mytoyotasucks
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Ok, in addition to no water in the bubbler, there is no water in the generator anymore... :eek: Upon inspection, there is a crack in the bottom of the box. (I'm using one of those 6 x 6 x 4 inch pvc boxes.) I guess the water froze and cracked the box. I don't guess the too much vacuum did this? I wouldn't think so.

And, I checked voltage going in the map enhancer and at idle it was about 1.5V. I flipped the switch over to enhanced and cranked the knob all the way lean and it dropped the voltage down to .5V but car doesn't respond.

While I had the voltage meter hooked up, I was seeing what increasing the rpm did to the voltage and when I stepped on the gas (as engine loses vacuum) the voltage jump up somewhat. Once the engine built up vacuum again at that increase rpm (which should be a greater vacuum than at idle), the voltage going into the enhancer was slightly lower.

So, since a higher rpm takes more gas and that higher rpm has less voltage than a lower rpm, wouldn't cutting the voltage with this enhancer actually give the engine more gas? :confused: Let me know if all this makes sense to you...

yes lower voltage = less fuel
higher voltage = more fuel

sound like it was built wrong - try switching the wires - not sure if it will do anything, but can try.

aaron_98_cobra
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM
yes lower voltage = less fuel
higher voltage = more fuel

sound like it was built wrong - try switching the wires - not sure if it will do anything, but can try.

That's what I thought, that lower voltage = less fuel until I increased the rpm and the voltage dropped a bit. I don't quite get that...

Which wires should I switch? And where? Just want to make sure before I start messing with stuff... Thanks

mytoyotasucks
01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
That's what I thought, that lower voltage = less fuel until I increased the rpm and the voltage dropped a bit. I don't quite get that...

Which wires should I switch? And where? Just want to make sure before I start messing with stuff... Thanks

just switch the ones u have going to and from the map sensor.

still dont know if it will do anything.

mytoyotasucks
01-08-2009, 10:21 PM

the best is denatured alcohol

velorossa22
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I've been using a fairly high concentration of KOH in the resevoir and haven't had it freeze yet ( went down to 15F).

velorossa22
04-06-2009, 12:42 AM
So if the voltage going to the ECU is near 0 should the car die? I have been using my enhancer, at idle and the enhancer off it reads 1.5V, I can adjust the enhancer but the idle doesn't seem to change even when I adjust it all the way over ( making the voltage effectively 0), when I did that it did make the check engine light on though.
I'm a little scared to play with it too much without a EGT. My 96 subaru is a OBDII car so I'm not totally sure why the car doesn't seem to care ( though in the schematics they call it a boost sensor and I don't have a turbo). The car is in closed loop since the check engine light isn't on.

mytoyotasucks
04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
So if the voltage going to the ECU is near 0 should the car die? I have been using my enhancer, at idle and the enhancer off it reads 1.5V, I can adjust the enhancer but the idle doesn't seem to change even when I adjust it all the way over ( making the voltage effectively 0), when I did that it did make the check engine light on though.
I'm a little scared to play with it too much without a EGT. My 96 subaru is a OBDII car so I'm not totally sure why the car doesn't seem to care ( though in the schematics they call it a boost sensor and I don't have a turbo). The car is in closed loop since the check engine light isn't on.

I think you car is in a open loop, and bypassing your sensors.