PDA

View Full Version : Stop or slow down the brown stuff

computerclinic
06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I have been experimenting with a ton of configurations. Plates, current, electrolyte, and water volume. I just can't seem to slow or stop the formation of all that brown stuff. I suspect it's rust, or perhaps a byproduct from the electrolysis process. In all of my configurations, the test solutions always come up to being a muddy brown, yet I see videos all over the web demonstrating a long run time and no brown. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Stratous
06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
The reddish brown stuff is what is caused by using different metals in your unit. Go with all stainless steel and the discoloration will not happen. Cheaper galvanized metal or metals mixed with zinc will turn the water red. Looks almost like a fine mud.

computerclinic
06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
I was using what I thought was an all stainless setup, but the bolts that I have been using are zinc coated. Thanks Strat! I am heading out to Lowes and changing up right away.

Phantom240
06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Be prepared! Lowes is a horrible place to get stainless bolts. Hardware stores are much better. Places like www.Fastenal.com are very affordable and have a very large selection. Where I work we do a lot of business with them.

computerclinic
06-30-2008, 10:25 PM
If its not labeled as SS, how can I be sure I am getting the real deal?...I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I am a computer pro not a metallurgist.

Phantom240
06-30-2008, 11:07 PM
If its not labeled as stainless, its not stainless. End of story lol.

computerclinic
06-30-2008, 11:16 PM
lol....I figured that much, but when I was shopping around for threaded stock, I found alot of shiny stuff that resembles SS but no one was able to tell me for sure if it was in fact SS.

Is there some kind of magnet trick or something that I can use to tell on the spot?:o

computerclinic
06-30-2008, 11:18 PM
The reddish brown stuff is what is caused by using different metals in your unit. Go with all stainless steel and the discoloration will not happen. Cheaper galvanized metal or metals mixed with zinc will turn the water red. Looks almost like a fine mud.

Will I get the same mud if I combine two or more alloys of SS? I.E. 304 with 316

Ronjinsan
07-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Couple of answers off the top here... firstly SS nuts are pretty easy to pick out from the galvanized type. If you put them together on a table you will notice the galvaized nuts are a silvery white whereas the genuine SS are a darker chrome looking. I keep all mine in the same box and after a bit of practice you will pick out SS nuts and bolts easily. If you are out shopping for them and they are not marked as SS then I suppose the magnet thing is a good idea but they should be a/ marked as SS and b/ a lot more expensive than the mild steel type! Secondly.... even with everything SS in my cell I still get a little water discoloration! I put this down to using pure rain water and not distilled water. I gather my rain water off of a plastic roof and straight into plastic containers so better than that is not possible, but you will still have some impurities! Use Sodium Hydroxide in distilled water with ALL stainless inside and you should have no problems!

computerclinic
07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
THANKS RON!!! I will certainly keep that in mind when I shop again.

spob
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Stainless is (for the most part) non ferrous. This means it is not magnetic.

dennis13030
07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Here is a breakdown on Stainless Steel.

http://www.fantes.com/stainless-steel.html

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 03:29 AM
also a fine way to tell if something is true SS or just SS coated.

h-power
07-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Rain water is full of contaminants. If you don't have access to distilled water you might try running your rain water through a water filter like Brita that has a carbon filter in it. This will remove 99% of the impurities in the water. I have run several units on filtered water with no coloring in the water after weeks of run time.

computerclinic
07-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Can I use a fish filter with charcoal and fine sand, or is it too slim/weak?

rmptr
07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Sorry, living in the lap of luxury, I can't imagine any place on the planet that does not sell drinking water in plastic bottles.

Our markets even sell gallons of distilled water for steam irons for less than a buck.

It's got to be better than rain water run through an aquarium filter.

Should not be difficult to fabricate a stove top still and boil a half gallon of water in a large pot, catch the steam, and let it drip down into a container.

Best

h-power
07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Bottled drinking water and distilled water are NOT the same thing. Bottled water for sure has minerals and other things in it. Water that is well filtered can have much of the contaminates remove. Brita does a good job of this and I'm sure there are others. Don't know about aquarium filters but I doubt it.