PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Core Housing

computerclinic
06-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I have been toying with the idea that a ceramic lined container may be the way to go. Glass seems to dissapate the heat well, while plastics are easier to work with and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. If I can install my cells within a ceramic container, then insert the ceramic into a protective shell I believe that the only reason heat will be a problem would be steam.

Anyone experimented with such a thing yet? Will Lye eat through the ceramic?

Ronjinsan
07-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Go with glass! Been there done it, got the T shirt! If its good enough for beer its good enough for me! 8-)

computerclinic
07-01-2008, 08:54 AM
:) Right on Ron...I started out with a mayo jar and some switch plates as my first sealed testing container and will likely go with glass for my actual units with a protective mounting setup....Any recomendations for a container source when using 2" x 8" plates?

I figured on custom ceramic containers because I can design the shape and size, but also eliminate the need for active cooling all together...Although I have read but not tested that as temp rises so does production and current...Any idea if this is actually true?

timetowinarace
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
:) .Although I have read but not tested that as temp rises so does production and current...Any idea if this is actually true?

My experience is that as temp rises so do the amps. I am using ABS pipe and have boiled the water. No harm done to the pipe. But amps go high enough to blow my 30amp fuse.

I have not measured output at the higher temps(near boiling) but it stands to reason that higher amps=higher output. Also as the water heats the molecules will be excited and break apart easier. Think actuall boiling of the water would restrict output because the bubbles would take up plate area.

computerclinic
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you notice any change in MPG or production of gas volume at boiling points? I am wondering about the air inside the boiling water bubbles as opposed to the hho. Also, are you using a PWM?

timetowinarace
07-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I havn't noticed a mpg change because my fuse blew, so no output after that. Also it wouldn't be possible to measure hho output with simple measures in a boiling system because the gases from boiling would be mixed with the hho. I'm in the proccess adjusting electolyte so that amps peak at 30 on a long run regardless of temp.

I actually would prefer water vapor/steam in my system. Being a turbo diesel, water vapor would be cooled in the intercooler thus adding compression in the cylinder when it expands again during combustion.

No PWM

computerclinic
07-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Thats really good to know...so a bit of water vapor in a diesel is okay, but in a gas engine its no good....Thanks,,,:)

troymacdonald
07-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I came up with what I think would be a good idea:

An electric thermostat inside the container to measure the water temp. At a given temp, say 130 degrees, the thermostat would send a signal to a limiter circuit.

The limiter circuit will limit the imput to the generator at just under 30 amps. A limiter will maintain a set current, but the signal from the thermostat will drop input to a given threshold of, say 15 or 20 amps.

The idea is that it would be circular system that would constantly keep itself in check. I am no where near smart enough to design the circuitry myself but I'm checking out electronics forums and websites to educate myself.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Also, I would like to redo my 13 wall plates with slightly larger manufactured ones - about 3 by 6 inches and use ceramic spacers between. I like the idea of using a ceramic lining on the inside of the container.

Stratous
07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
THe idea had merrit no doubt. The thermometer must be able to withstand corrosive substances. Perhaps it could be coated in glass?

dennis13030
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
I came up with what I think would be a good idea:

An electric thermostat inside the container to measure the water temp. At a given temp, say 130 degrees, the thermostat would send a signal to a limiter circuit.

The limiter circuit will limit the imput to the generator at just under 30 amps. A limiter will maintain a set current, but the signal from the thermostat will drop input to a given threshold of, say 15 or 20 amps.

The idea is that it would be circular system that would constantly keep itself in check. I am no where near smart enough to design the circuitry myself but I'm checking out electronics forums and websites to educate myself.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Also, I would like to redo my 13 wall plates with slightly larger manufactured ones - about 3 by 6 inches and use ceramic spacers between. I like the idea of using a ceramic lining on the inside of the container.

Just use an RTD connected to the input of the PWM(might need a inverting amplifier to invert the signal). Or easier, just use a resettable fuse. Resettable fuses detect over-current conditions, then opens the switch, when the resettable fuse cools down, the switch closes again. Its an indirect but very simple way to set a max temperature.

computerclinic
07-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Do you have a link to where we may find the resetable fuse?

troymacdonald
07-06-2008, 10:37 PM
In this discussion of alternative, heat resistant containers: would a carbon fiber container work? People use them all the time on their rice rocket cars.

Stratous
07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
It should work as some companies use carbon fiber electrodes.

computerclinic
07-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Carbon fiber as a conductor?....I thought it would have an insulator value...:confused:

Phantom240
07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
In this discussion of alternative, heat resistant containers: would a carbon fiber container work? People use them all the time on their rice rocket cars.

Hey! That's not nice. Rice is cheaper than gas after all.

And a carbon fiber container would be amazing. Its very strong and resilient to the elements. The only problem is it doesn't take to impacts well. Its durability lies in its tensile strength. Its also incredibly expensive now because of Boeing hoarding nearly 80% of the world's supply of CF. Fiberglass would be a much more sensible solution.

Boltazar
07-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Couldn't The Temp Sensor Be On The Outside Of The Generator?

Johnh
07-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Thats really good to know...so a bit of water vapor in a diesel is okay, but in a gas engine its no good....Thanks,,,:)

Water injection and water vapour injection has been used with petrol engines for ages with good results at higher power outputs. Have a look around the car geeks sites and its still pretty popular. I don't think there is any disadvantages from water vapour in the HHO EXCEPT if you create it by inefficient generator design.
John

kirbysiville
07-16-2008, 11:24 PM
think like an O2 sensor
Add a bung into the sidewall of your electrolyzer then just screw the temp sensor into the bung.
Also thinking about a thermostat. A relatively cheap, though perhaps bulky piece could be a simple house thermostat.