PDA

View Full Version : Efie

Calgary
12-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone. I am installing a HHO system in my 2001 Toyota corolla. I have a PWM for it. The only thing I haven't purchased yet is an EFIE. My 02 sensor is on the exhaust manifold and is easy to get to. After reading about Map and Maf sensors on newer model cars I want to know if the EFIE for the 02 sensor is all I really need. Thanks for any advice , Jim in Calgary

Painless
12-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone. I am installing a HHO system in my 2001 Toyota corolla. I have a PWM for it. The only thing I haven't purchased yet is an EFIE. My 02 sensor is on the exhaust manifold and is easy to get to. After reading about Map and Maf sensors on newer model cars I want to know if the EFIE for the 02 sensor is all I really need. Thanks for any advice , Jim in Calgary

Hi Jim!

If you are getting no gains with just the HHO generator then your first step should be to try an EFIE. Start off with a small adjustment and allow time before increasing. Be wary of leaning your engine too much, if you feel a drop off in power or hear pre-ignition (sounds like someone shaking a tin of nails under your hood) then turn off the EFIE and go back to your previous settings.

Once you have gains with the EFIE, you need to see if they stay. They may be taken away over time as the computer adjusts. If this is the case, just reset your vehicles computer and install a MAP or MAF enhancer (whichever is applicable to your vehicle). This will help to stop the computer from working out what you're doing.

Hope this helps!

Russ.

coffeeachiever
12-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Russ,
Why wouldn't you just go ahead and put in the MAP/MAF enhancer when you put on the efie? Is it just because you're worried about over leaning or is it something else?

Painless
12-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Russ,
Why wouldn't you just go ahead and put in the MAP/MAF enhancer when you put on the efie? Is it just because you're worried about over leaning or is it something else?

I view sensor mods as follows:

O2 - Counteracting enriching due to more efficient combustion and performing further leaning.

MAP / MAF - Reducing perceived engine load to make the ECU accept leaner mixtures, rather than adjusting them out as it adapts.

IAT / CTS - Lowering lean out limits and adjusting timing.

Now, adjusting the MAP / MAF / IAT / CTS will perform further leaning as well as their primary purpose above.

From my background in computer technology I believe strongly in the 'One change at a time and monitor results' philosophy. This way, you can start with the O2 sensors and then move on to MAP / MAF or even IAT / CTS if required.

I also strongly believe in the use of an EGT gauge, an OBD monitor is also of great use instead of tuning blind.

alpha-dog
12-20-2008, 10:53 PM
I really wonder if the obdII monitor would be the best place to start. I would really like more info and also have a better idea of what to expect from my sensors. It would be great to know if the first time you hooked up your HHO you could see the change on your sensors.
Russ

Painless
12-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I really wonder if the obdII monitor would be the best place to start. I would really like more info and also have a better idea of what to expect from my sensors. It would be great to know if the first time you hooked up your HHO you could see the change on your sensors.
Russ

You're on the right track, this is why I'm taking baseline logs from my truck right now. I expect, when I add enough HHO, to see the o2 sensors read lean and the short and long term fuel trims to go more positive.

The idea I have is to use data comparison to adjust the EFIE until readings are back to baseline. At that point, I can take MPG measurements at a few fillups then move onto stage two, leaning further for more MPG. This is the stage where I believe I will need the IAT and MAP adjustments as well as input from the EGT.

Collecting sensor data along with each stage of tuning should provide valuable data.